I think I am trying to do something very similar to you.
I am running a freshly-installed version of RH9 (Shrike). I have a USB ADSL modem/router made by ORIGO and it contains the Conexant chipset.
I found pages on the web in English, French and Italian telling me about two other modems which use the same chipset:
These pages talk about an easy driver and a difficult one. I think previous contributers on the thread have been using the difficult one, but the instructions for that make no sense to me whatsoever. So I went for the easy one. (But if anyone wants to talk me through the difficult one in plain English I'm happy to have a go!)
Now, I think I have done quite well to get this far!
1) I was getting some problems with the USB controller and when RH Linux 9 started up it used to tell me that insmod usb-ohci.o had not worked properly. I have overcome this by removing "USB Legacy Emulation" from the BIOS. It was just a guess, but now I don't get that error any more.
2) When I run lsusb it shows me that it can see the Conexant modem.
3) I downloaded the driver files for RH9 from the olitec.com page above. I edited the customer.h file as instructed, and inserted the VID and PID numbers shown when I ran lsusb. Then I copied the firmware and ran make and insmod as instructed.
4) After waiting for 30-60 seconds I tried to run ifconfig hsb0 up as instructed but I got an error message saying the resource is temporarily unavailable. The italian instructions seem to suggest that if this happens I should rmmod usb-ohci and then insmod it again. However, when I do the rmmod I get a Segmentation Fault, and I am not able to insmod afterwards. Then the USB seems to stop working completely and when I do ifconfig hsb0 up it says that hsb0 doesn't even exist.
5) Now that I have done cp e2.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb as suggested by the Italian instructions I get an error message during the Linux startup talking about unresolved dependencies.
I really thought I was doing well but it was 90% guesswork and 10% intuition. Now the intuition has run out - I've no idea what's wrong and I would appreciate some help. What's wrong? It's probably just a small thing. Is it the usb-ohci? What is that anyway and how do I configure it?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.