LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,562

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzen View Post
@ OP

"The only reason I'm not convinced the problem might not be a hardware issue is because all the dysfunction started with the upgrade. But who knows"
-----------------------

I ran into similar issues attempting to install newer sistros on older laptop.

Ended up to be misaligned partitions on the SSD in one instance. With another, I thought it may be the opical disc drive (also an attempt at a 'buntu 16.04 install that failed) but was wrong, again! I took time to make sure of no overlapping partitions, changed out the RAM sticks (replacing them with an identical set) and made sure the optics on odd were clean, and tried again.

Results? any distro with systemd caused prolems on my old machine. One Debian distro that touts itself as 'non-systemd' left remnanats of a GPT tabel at end of hdd and I had to wipe it before attempting another install. Two different ubuntu-based distros (I wanted netflix) -- Lite and Mint -- failed me.

I think it is because, on upgrade, EFIs with apparently unbreakable 'dependencies' on systemd are installed. As you say, "Who knows!"

Upshot -- i am now using Scientific and Salix.
Debian/Ubuntu are now intertwined, it seems to me. I will treat them as such. (Aside: I wonder what Ian Murdoch would say?)

Re: kernel. Scientific 7.2 uses as 3.10 kernel ootb.

BTW, I have a new in-the-box SystemVinit desktop mobo (smaller form factor, I can't remember which) for AMD. If interested, private message me.

sidzen
Thanks Sidzen. Seems to me a lot of people had problems with the 16.04 upgrade. I was hoping the software updates would take care of it but no luck. Anyway, sorry for the delayed response--I lost track of the thread. And the computer is working good so for now I'm going to live with the delayed boot time. (And call this thread 'solved.') Thanks for mentioning the mobo you've got but like I said the computer works great so I'll stick with it for now. Appreciate it.
 
Old 08-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,562

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
gregg bell, i helped you with one or two issues a while back.

when i noticed that you were amassing problems & threads, i thought: ok, he wants to learn the hard way. can't say i did much better in my early linux days.

...well, by now i get the impression that you're in over your head & suffering.
i think you should put a plug in it.
maybe try to install & actually use a system, instead of borking it over and over?
meaning, just stick to the defaults, and if you have a real problem (e.g. wifi) read & understand BEFORE you start messing around.

relevant xkcd comic:
https://xkcd.com/456/
Good advice, ondoho. Well taken. Thanks. And sorry for the late response.
 
Old 08-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,562

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
That looks like a link, but isn't, so I couldn't check out your history.

Custom built how long ago? What model motherboard, and power supply? Are they old enough for crud buildup to have made it time for cleaning and inspection? Delays are a common result of failing hardware, often electrolytic caps going or gone bad in the PS, especially if the PS was included in the price of a budget-priced case.
Thanks mrmazda and sorry about the delayed response. I did open the case and everything looked really new. (I didn't buy the computer. Windows crashed on it for somebody at work and they were going to throw it out.) I checked all the cable connections--everything was tight. Going to live with the delayed boot time because the computer works great.
 
Old 08-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #19
mrmazda
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: multiple
Posts: 126

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Again you didn't report a computer or motherboard model, so it's impossible to make any suggestions based upon your hardware. Early on you said "custom", but later reported somebody at work was going to throw it out. So, it's age and what's in it are hard to guess. Could it be that it has a floppy drive? If so, disconnect it and turn it off in the BIOS. Apparently, few developers use machines with floppy drives any more, so if some patch causes a floppy-related problem, catching it is likely to be a matter of luck long after the bug is born. I've seen various delays in recent years caused because a floppy drive was present. I reported one in openSUSE's tracker about 4 years ago, and another 18 months ago. Maybe you have found one.
 
Old 08-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #20
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 5,850
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Ardvark, this is probably bordering on Linux heresy but I'm just living with the problem. At this point I'm figuring only a new computer will solve the problem and this computer works great once it boots up so I'm not getting a new computer. I lost track of this thread and apologize for the late reply.
No problem, I hope you get it resolved eventually, whichever direction you choose.

Regards...
 
Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #21
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,096
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Ztcoracat. I tried to run the computer off a disc and even that was a hassle (including the 18 minute boot time). For right now I'm living with the boot time because besides that the computer runs great. Sorry for the late response--I lost track of the thread.

Your Welcome-
18 minutes to boot!?#:-::-?

Something is definitely not right and or became misconfigured.

This wouldn't be the first time that I've seen an upgrade break a Ubuntu based distro.It happened to me when I was running Ubuntu a long time ago. At that time an upgrade broke the fglrx driver and reinstalling it fixed it.

Try turning off things like bluetooth and other services that you don't need.
Disable unessary kernel modules, use a light weight window mgr instead of KDE or Gnome as they are RAM hogs.

If you have tried all of that that a fresh install may be the only answer.

Do you suspect that the config boot file or the bootloader is broken?
Have you tried boot repair?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Last edited by Ztcoracat; 08-29-2016 at 09:53 PM.
 
Old 08-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #22
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,562

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Again you didn't report a computer or motherboard model, so it's impossible to make any suggestions based upon your hardware. Early on you said "custom", but later reported somebody at work was going to throw it out. So, it's age and what's in it are hard to guess. Could it be that it has a floppy drive? If so, disconnect it and turn it off in the BIOS. Apparently, few developers use machines with floppy drives any more, so if some patch causes a floppy-related problem, catching it is likely to be a matter of luck long after the bug is born. I've seen various delays in recent years caused because a floppy drive was present. I reported one in openSUSE's tracker about 4 years ago, and another 18 months ago. Maybe you have found one.
Thanks mrmazda. The computer is not a commercial typical brand like Dell. A computer tech guy built the computer in a generic case. There was no floppy drive. It has a DVD player/recorder instead. It's pretty new.

I've wondered about the BIOS being the culprit. Honestly, I've just gotten tired of battling it.
 
Old 08-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #23
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,562

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark71 View Post
No problem, I hope you get it resolved eventually, whichever direction you choose.

Regards...
Ardvark. (You da man!)
 
Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,562

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Your Welcome-
18 minutes to boot!?#:-::-?

Something is definitely not right and or became misconfigured.

This wouldn't be the first time that I've seen an upgrade break a Ubuntu based distro.It happened to me when I was running Ubuntu a long time ago. At that time an upgrade broke the fglrx driver and reinstalling it fixed it.

Try turning off things like bluetooth and other services that you don't need.
Disable unessary kernel modules, use a light weight window mgr instead of KDE or Gnome as they are RAM hogs.

If you have tried all of that that a fresh install may be the only answer.

Do you suspect that the config boot file or the bootloader is broken?
Have you tried boot repair?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Hey Ztcoracat.

I did a million and a half things with this already. Some Linux master guy had me fixing packages, analyzing this and that and this and running all these diagnostic tests. Then it just got silly.

I did do a fresh install. The problem remained.

Really I'm just not going to stress about it anymore. The computer works great. So what--I have to turn it on and wait a bit. I can live with that.

P.S. I bookmarked the boot repair link. If I get the emotional wherewithal to tackle this again I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
 
Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #25
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,096
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Hey Ztcoracat.

I did a million and a half things with this already. Some Linux master guy had me fixing packages, analyzing this and that and this and running all these diagnostic tests. Then it just got silly.

I did do a fresh install. The problem remained.

Really I'm just not going to stress about it anymore. The computer works great. So what--I have to turn it on and wait a bit. I can live with that.

P.S. I bookmarked the boot repair link. If I get the emotional wherewithal to tackle this again I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
If the fresh install gives you the 18 minute boot delay you could always roll back to the previous kernel. One last thought; recompiling the kernel sometimes makes things go away.

Since you like Xubuntu you might like Voyager. Voyager ran great for me.
http://voyagerlive.org/

Good luck-
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #26
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 5,850
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Ardvark. (You da man!)
Praise God for what I am.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #27
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,562

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
If the fresh install gives you the 18 minute boot delay you could always roll back to the previous kernel. One last thought; recompiling the kernel sometimes makes things go away.

Since you like Xubuntu you might like Voyager. Voyager ran great for me.
http://voyagerlive.org/

Good luck-
Thanks Ztcoracat. It got so funky with this thing. I don't know how to recompile a kernel but the computer would boot from an old kernel via the grubloader but after a while even that stopped working. Now I'm grateful that it's working properly (even with the delay). And that's the first I've heard of Voyager. Thanks for sharing that.
 
Old 08-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #28
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,562

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark71 View Post
Praise God for what I am.
You are wonderfully sold out, friend. An inspiration and encouragement to the likes of me.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #29
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,096
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Ztcoracat. It got so funky with this thing. I don't know how to recompile a kernel but the computer would boot from an old kernel via the grubloader but after a while even that stopped working. Now I'm grateful that it's working properly (even with the delay). And that's the first I've heard of Voyager. Thanks for sharing that.
Your Welcome.

I ran Voyager for about a year. It's a lot like Xubuntu with a nice spin and lot's of beautiful wallpapers.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #30
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 5,850
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
You are wonderfully sold out, friend. An inspiration and encouragement to the likes of me.
Thank you, I'm glad that the Lord has used me (and given to me of Himself) to be able to be that for you! Likewise, I look forward to seeing you on here and am glad I've gotten to know you a bit. Learning how to work on and fix computers can be challenging and you've definitely shown some persistence in your efforts.

Something else I want you to know, too. Jesus loves very much "the likes of you" and you are worth every bit to Him the sacrifice on the Cross He paid for all of us. I don't belong to an exclusive club and all that I've received in Him (which includes eternal and abundant life) is available to you and everyone else, as well. You're invited! It won't always be easy but every sin I've given up and am learning to walk away from has been well worth it, receiving His freedom instead.

I'm not sure if you've seen it yet but if you want to read about the "likes of me" before I received Him, you can see it here.

Regards and thanks again...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey everyone new to Linx just trying to learn the ropes!! usarmyman2003 LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 05-14-2012 01:41 AM
LXer: Is PCLinuxOS on the Ropes? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-08-2011 09:20 PM
LXer: Redmond On The Ropes LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 08-14-2007 08:39 AM
Newbie here but hoping to learn the ropes venom96737 LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 2 12-27-2005 11:34 AM
Newbie needs to learn the ropes!! Enoxx Linux - Software 14 11-01-2003 09:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration