LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
tralli
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Compiling in Cygwin


Hi guys, this is my first post.

I'm interested in modding an open-source turn based game called Advanced Strategic Command or ASC, but to do that I need bunch of libraries. Installing those libraries is very easy in linux, I know but the thing is I'm working with windows in which the building of the libraries is a bit more complex, as you probably know. One of those libraries is the ligsigc++, I'm using VC++ but havenīt been successful in building the libsigc++ in VC++. I considered making my life easier with Cygwin (a unix shell for windows) and simply executing ./Configure, Make. I's worked like a charm and the library dll it produced is named cygsigc-2.0-0.dll which made me wonder is compiling a library in cygwin to be linked with VC++ perfectly ok? That is is there any difference in compiling in cygwin and VC++?
 
Old 05-22-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,818

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
do not use cygwin
cygwin will NOT be able to make MS Windows .dll's ( it dose use the "CygWin.dll " )


you CAN do that using Mingw / Msys

also visual studio ??? - let's just say i build 90%+ on windows using mingw and bloodshed's DevC++ the other 10% is in vis studio


and a word of advice
for MinGW DO NOT let the prebuilt gnuwin32 files auto install in 'c/program files'
that WILL cause all kinds of problems in the long run!!!

install to
c:\\GnuWin32/MinGW
c:\\GnuWin32/MSys
and install as a std linux install
c:\\GnuWin32/MinGW\bin
c:\\GnuWin32/MinGW\include
c:\\GnuWin32/MinGW\lib
-- and so on ---
 
Old 05-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by tralli View Post
but the thing is I'm working with windows
Ever noticed the name of this forum?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compiling/Running Java in Cygwin IsharaComix Linux - Software 0 09-29-2008 09:05 AM
Help with compiling gcc under cygwin amadhusudan General 0 05-26-2008 05:07 AM
cygwin compiling PatrickNew Programming 6 07-27-2007 03:54 PM
cygwin -> compiling lib3ds hylke General 0 06-21-2005 03:02 AM
compiling opengl with cygwin adhara Programming 0 07-28-2004 06:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration