Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
1. after a fresh install, when booting from hd, i get 'stage 1 Read Error'. what could be causing this (ie. where is the startup config file so i can sort it out)? (btw, i can get into the system using the boot disk created at install time)
2. where is the menu config file for icewm? i'm fairly new to all this, having a bit of trouble getting around?
3. Iomega Zip Drive (Parallel port version), how do i install/configure it?
4. ppp setup? i tried to use my modem to connect to the net at install time, but it told me my modem could not be found. it (the modem) is a pace 28.8 internal model, and most definitely is not a 'Winmodem'
5. monitor refresh rates. which file contains the options?
6. i'd like to create another boot disk, in case my current one is wiped by accident, how?
7. its a bit late now, but for future ref., how do i save a list of all the packages i select at install time, so i don't have to scroll through the ENTIRE BLOODY LIST all over again?
8. is there any good 'Windows Explorer' clone out there, with similar options and right click menus etc.?
9. how do i properly configure a boot partition at install time, again for future ref.? (i now realise that mucking about with the one i have now is probably what cause the cockup in q.1)
10. fool-proof way to find any file on the system please? something close to the 'Find files' tool in Win95 would be nice....
11. why did asking for a text-only login leave me with a gui-style one? grrr...
12. playing real-audio files - how?
13. in case we have any sound-people knocking about... any good sample editors and multi-track stuff out there?
oof, that lot'll keep you busy. i'm not really a complete newbie, as i tried out linux a few years back, but its changed so much.... oh well
any help would be much appreciated, if you can please email solutions to me directly
I am also a newbie to Linux and have just installed Mandrake 7.2 on my system. After much cursing at the poor quality of Netscape, I got hold of a copy of Mozilla. This is much better and far more akin to IE than Netscape ever was. The right click menu functions are also much better!
My personal favorite is Konqueror. Its alot like IE I think. Very easy to use.
Also, if u go into 'Tools', there's a 'Find Files' option that looks & works just like the Windoze one!
Athon Solo http://www.teamarena.net