LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
cheesewizz
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philippines
Distribution: Centos
Posts: 221

Rep: Reputation: 15
centos 6.4 x86_64


Hi

i installed centos 6.4 the problem i encountered here is about when i shutdown or reboot the system i cannot able to ping when login session appeared, i need to login first then i can able to ping.

my concern is how can i fix this even the system reboot i should ping it when login session appeared


thanks
 
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,753

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288
Hi,

it sounds like you might be using network manager and as such the network is not coming up until you log in. If this is the case, to switch to a normal network setup (assuming eth0 and dhcp), you can do the following steps:

1. Stop and disable network manager (as root):
Code:
service NetworkManager stop                                                                                                                  
chkconfig NetworkManager off
2. Setup eth0: create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
containing:
Code:
DEVICE=eth0                                                                                       
ONBOOT=yes                                                                                                               
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
3. Restart the network
Code:
service network restart
Now the network should be back up and should automatically restart when the machine is rebooted.

Evo2.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
cheesewizz
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philippines
Distribution: Centos
Posts: 221

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo2 View Post
Hi,

it sounds like you might be using network manager and as such the network is not coming up until you log in. If this is the case, to switch to a normal network setup (assuming eth0 and dhcp), you can do the following steps:

1. Stop and disable network manager (as root):
Code:
service NetworkManager stop                                                                                                                  
chkconfig NetworkManager off
2. Setup eth0: create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
containing:
Code:
DEVICE=eth0                                                                                       
ONBOOT=yes                                                                                                               
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
3. Restart the network
Code:
service network restart
Now the network should be back up and should automatically restart when the machine is rebooted.

Evo2.
Hi

Thanks it works.

but my observation is i cannot find my lan properties where i could check the IP address and the internet connection is gone

thanks

Last edited by cheesewizz; 10-02-2013 at 12:07 AM.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.8, Centos 5.10
Posts: 17,240

Rep: Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324
Quote:
but my observation is i cannot find my lan properties where i could check the IP address and the internet connection is gone
Can you put that differently please; I can't understand the qn.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
cheesewizz
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philippines
Distribution: Centos
Posts: 221

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Can you put that differently please; I can't understand the qn.

when i turn off NetworkManager i can able to ping my centos6.4 but the problem is my internet connection gone.


thanks
 
Old 10-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,753

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewizz View Post
when i turn off NetworkManager i can able to ping my centos6.4 but the problem is my internet connection gone.
What are you doing to conclude that your internet connection is gone? Can you ping remote hosts?
Eg
Code:
ping 8.8.8.8
Evo2.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
cheesewizz
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philippines
Distribution: Centos
Posts: 221

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo2 View Post
Hi,


What are you doing to conclude that your internet connection is gone? Can you ping remote hosts?
Eg
Code:
ping 8.8.8.8
Evo2.
Hi

Thanks for your reply


before i turn off the network manager my centos6.4 has an internet connection
i can able to browse anything.

turn off network manager and to take effect i restarted my system then i logged in my account in the centos 6.4

trying to browse any url nothing happened it returned cant find address
trying to ping google i got request time out


thanks
 
Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,753

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewizz View Post
before i turn off the network manager my centos6.4 has an internet connection
i can able to browse anything.
Did you follow the other instructions I posted for how to use the network without network manager?

Quote:
trying to browse any url nothing happened it returned cant find address
trying to ping google i got request time out
Can you ping an ip address?
eg
Code:
ping 8.8.8.8
Evo2.
 
Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
cheesewizz
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philippines
Distribution: Centos
Posts: 221

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo2 View Post
Hi,

Did you follow the other instructions I posted for how to use the network without network manager?


Can you ping an ip address?
eg
Code:
ping 8.8.8.8
Evo2.

Hi

you are correct i tried again backup ifcfg then create new ifcfg-eth0
only 3 information i put it. after that restart then everythings works fine



thanks
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: CentOS-announce Release for CentOS-6.4 i386 and x86_64 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-09-2013 04:50 PM
LXer: CentOS-announce Release for CentOS-5.6 i386 and x86_64 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-09-2011 06:00 AM
CentOS 5.5 x86_64 Python 2.7 wills Linux - Server 3 02-24-2011 04:41 AM
LXer: Xen 3.2 on CentOS 5.2 x86_64 / RHEL 5.2 x86_64 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-12-2008 06:51 PM
CentOS 4 (x86_64 or i386) Mithrilhall Linux - Newbie 2 07-14-2006 11:36 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration