You can get the Java rpm here
1. At the terminal: Type:
2. Enter the root password.
3. Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:
For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:
Note about root access: To install the JRE in a system-wide location such as/usr/local, you must login as the root user to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, install the JRE in your home directory or a subdirectory for which you have write permissions.
4. Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type:
chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586-rpm.bin
5. Start the installation process. Type:
This displays a binary license agreement. Read through the agreement. Press the spacebar to display the next page. At the end, enter yes to proceed with the installation.
6. The installation file creates j2re-1_4_2_-linux-i586.rpm file in the current directory.
7. Run the RPM command at the terminal to install the packages. Type:
rpm -iv j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.rpm
8. The JRE is installed in j2re1.4.2_(version number) sub-directory under the current directory. In this case, the JRE is installed in the /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04 directory. Verify that the j2re1.4.2_04 sub-directory is listed under the current directory. Type:
The installation is now complete. Go to the Enable and Configure section.
Enable and Configure
# Mozilla 1.4 and later
# Mozilla 1.2, Netscape 6 and later
Mozilla 1.4 and later
1. Go to the plugins sub-directory under the Mozilla installation directory
cd <Mozilla installation directory>/plugins
2. In the current directory, create a symbolic link to the JRE ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so file Type:
ln -s <JRE installation directory>/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
* If Mozilla is installed in this directory:
* and if the JRE is installed at this directory:
* Then type at the terminal to go to the browser plug-in directory:
* Enter the following command to create a symbolic link to the Java Plug-in for the Mozilla browser.
ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32
3. Start Mozilla browser or restart it if it is already running. Note that if you have other Mozilla components (ie: Messenger, Composer, etc) running, you will need to restart them as well.
4. Go to Edit > Preferences. Under Advanced category > Select Enable Java