can't boot from LILO after win xp installation
I was working with win me and mandrake 9,2 just fine, one day my win me was so buggy that I tried to install win xp in my pc, now LILO stop working and win took control of my pc, can't acces linux anymore using LILO.
do I have to reinstall linux everytime I reinstall windows or there is another way to recover LILO? I have the rescue disk for my linux but either way is damage or I am doing something wrong. please help
you guys now that once in a while everyone has to reinstall windows....
Yes, Windows takes over the boot loader and does not recognize any other OS you already installed on the PC. You normally have to install Windows first and then install Linux -- lilo or grub will then recognize the Windows installation and configure themselves automatically to give the choice of which OS to boot to.
Re: can't boot from LILO after win xp installation
1. Pull out the recovery floppy or CD that you made after you installed Linux. You did make this, right?
2. Set your BIOS to boot from your CD/DVD/Floppy
3. Stick the disk in the drive as appropriate
5. Mount the filesystem (usually there is an option for doing this)
Now that your filesystem is "mounted", you can get confused because you have two filesystems. You have the one in RAM which is running from /, and the actual hard drive filesystem which is running from /mnt/whatever, so when you run commands and edit filesystem stuff, make sure you are in the mounted one on the hdd.
6. CD to /mnt/linuxonhdd/etc/
9. pwd to make sure you are still in mounted etc directory
10. lilo -v
You should be done.
11. Pull out floppy and reboot and see if that doesn't fix your problem.
1. Put installation CD in CD drive
2. Set BIOS to boot from CD
4. Follow options as above to "rescue" your system and do as above to run lilo again which will make it take over the master boot record.
1. Look in mirror with vacant expression and ask yourself, "What the hell was I thinking putting M$ crud on my hard drive?!?
2. Beat forehead against wall gently.
3. Curl up in a ball and feel appropriate shame.
so the answer would be that i have to install again linux everytime I install windows?.....because I have never had to reinstall linux....I have to reinstall windows once in a while
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.|