LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Rep: Reputation: 30
cannot locate modules.conf


this modules.conf file that I need to complete install of Alsa, it isn't in /etc where it should be. I am using Fedora Core 3. Has any other Fedora user had trouble with this too.
 
Old 06-15-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
perfect_circle
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Distribution: Slackware, arch
Posts: 1,783

Rep: Reputation: 52
Re: cannot locate modules.conf

Quote:
Originally posted by lowpingnoob
this modules.conf file that I need to complete install of Alsa, it isn't in /etc where it should be. I am using Fedora Core 3. Has any other Fedora user had trouble with this too.
/etc/modules.conf is for the 2.4 kernel series.
In 2.6 they use /etc/modprobe.conf
 
Old 06-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Re: cannot locate modules.conf

Quote:
Originally posted by perfect_circle
/etc/modules.conf is for the 2.4 kernel series.
In 2.6 they use /etc/modprobe.conf
thanks
 
Old 06-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Re: Re: cannot locate modules.conf

Quote:
Originally posted by lowpingnoob
thanks
but all that is in modprobe.conf is

alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 8139too
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
 
Old 06-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Re: Re: Re: cannot locate modules.conf

Quote:
Originally posted by lowpingnoob
but all that is in modprobe.conf is

alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 8139too
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
is this the right file?
 
Old 06-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
and i am adding this in

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ca0106
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
 
Old 06-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
am i doing the right thing (thats what ALSA install says)
 
Old 06-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
perfect_circle
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Distribution: Slackware, arch
Posts: 1,783

Rep: Reputation: 52
sure, and my modules.conf contains:
Code:
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.9a ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

alias char-major-195 nvidia
Do you have a problem with the sound?
Fedora has it's own tools to probe for the soundcard automatically. Why don't you search the menus in gnome.

P.S. you have posted 190 threads in 3 days. You definitely broke a record on this forum.
 
Old 06-15-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
perfect_circle
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Distribution: Slackware, arch
Posts: 1,783

Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally posted by lowpingnoob
am i doing the right thing (thats what ALSA install says)
You are supposed to do alsaconf and those will be created automatically.
But I don't know if fedora uses alsaconf. Thats the problem with those "advanced" distros.
They change a lot of the default stuff. So use the utilities fedora provides you.
 
Old 06-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by perfect_circle
You are supposed to do alsaconf and those will be created automatically.
But I don't know if fedora uses alsaconf. Thats the problem with those "advanced" distros.
They change a lot of the default stuff. So use the utilities fedora provides you.
ok , I have working sound, but how would I get my 5.1 working, I cant get sound from middle channel or rear speakers. also, is there ANY way to enable CDDA for Linux, or is that proprietary windows crap.
 
Old 06-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #11
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by perfect_circle
sure, and my modules.conf contains:
Code:
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.9a ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

alias char-major-195 nvidia
Do you have a problem with the sound?
Fedora has it's own tools to probe for the soundcard automatically. Why don't you search the menus in gnome.

P.S. you have posted 190 threads in 3 days. You definitely broke a record on this forum.
thats just how i roll.
 
Old 06-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #12
perfect_circle
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Distribution: Slackware, arch
Posts: 1,783

Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally posted by lowpingnoob
ok , I have working sound, but how would I get my 5.1 working, I cant get sound from middle channel or rear speakers. also, is there ANY way to enable CDDA for Linux, or is that proprietary windows crap.
The only advice I can give you on this, is to open a mixer and play with the channels.
I use alsamixer in slackware (open a console and type alsamixer) and have my 4 speaker working. The rear speakers in my case were controled from wave sourround channel. In order to make them work with CD's I use xmms (I think it's called media player in fedora), it's the winamp clone and only by using "digital audio extraction" in "CD audio player" input plugin (it's in options->preferencies).
 
Old 06-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #13
perfect_circle
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Distribution: Slackware, arch
Posts: 1,783

Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally posted by lowpingnoob
thats just how i roll.
I wish I had internet in your age
 
Old 06-15-2005, 07:25 PM   #14
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by perfect_circle
I wish I had internet in your age
ahaahahahaha, Im a lucky one. Cable internet too! Feel my 3 MBPS rath DSL users. yeah, the internet is nice, CS keeps me from severly damaging real people.
 
Old 06-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
lowpingnoob
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 3, soon DSL (DSL backwards is LSD hahahaha)
Posts: 245

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by perfect_circle
The only advice I can give you on this, is to open a mixer and play with the channels.
I use alsamixer in slackware (open a console and type alsamixer) and have my 4 speaker working. The rear speakers in my case were controled from wave sourround channel. In order to make them work with CD's I use xmms (I think it's called media player in fedora), it's the winamp clone and only by using "digital audio extraction" in "CD audio player" input plugin (it's in options->preferencies).
aint lettin me play cds through XMMS, and no sound from default media player...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conf.modules Vs Modules.conf Issue, lost eth0 initialization LinuxFreebie41 Linux - General 3 11-04-2004 07:02 AM
Update-modules: No longer managing /lib/modules/modprobe.conf? geekzen Debian 0 04-03-2004 07:49 PM
/etc/conf.modules is more recent than /lib/module/2.2.15-4mdk/modules.dep Derek-kun Linux - Newbie 3 09-26-2003 03:56 AM
Re: modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than lib/modules/2.4.9/modules.d Andy.M Linux - General 1 01-24-2002 02:50 AM
Re: modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than lib/modules/2.4.9/modules.d Andy.M Linux - Newbie 2 01-24-2002 02:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration