LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
ust
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: fasdf
Distribution: Debian / Suse /RHEL
Posts: 1,130

Rep: Reputation: 30
can not export path to mount


I installed a RH 4.8 server and add the below to /etc/exports

/tmp/test 192.168.0.2(rw,sync)

when I run exportfs -a , it pops the below , can advise what is wrong ? How to fix it ?

Thanks.


exportfs: No host name given with /tmp/test
(rw,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossm
nt,secure,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,subtree_check,secure_locks,mapping=identi
ty,anonuid=-2,anongid=-2), suggest *(rw,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_r
oot_squash,no_all_squash,subtree_check,secure_locks,mapping=identity,anonuid=-2,
anongid=-2) to avoid warning
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,066
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
I don't have any antiques floating about to check that behaviour,
but have you verified w/ the man-page that those options are valid
for the version of the nfs-tools you're using?


Try a
exportfs 192.168.0.2:/tmp/test



Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 10-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
spankbot
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 131

Rep: Reputation: 16
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ust View Post
I installed a RH 4.8 server and add the below to /etc/exports

/tmp/test 192.168.0.2(rw,sync)

when I run exportfs -a , it pops the below , can advise what is wrong ? How to fix it ?

Thanks.


exportfs: No host name given with /tmp/test
(rw,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossm
nt,secure,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,subtree_check,secure_locks,mapping=identi
ty,anonuid=-2,anongid=-2), suggest *(rw,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_r
oot_squash,no_all_squash,subtree_check,secure_locks,mapping=identity,anonuid=-2,
anongid=-2) to avoid warning

For starters, you should not be using RedHat 4. It's old and patches are no longer available.

You should never NFS export anything under /tmp either as that's a special part of the file system. You should always use fully qualified host names instead of IP addresses too, so make sure your network is properly setup BEFORE playing with NSF.

Last edited by spankbot; 10-15-2011 at 05:21 AM.
 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,541
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankbot View Post
<snip>
You should never NFS export anything under /tmp either as that's a special part of the file system. You should always use fully qualified host names instead of IP addresses too, so make sure your network is properly setup BEFORE playing with NSF.
Would you clarify this a bit? For a normal user or admin?

Fully qualify? Admin do have reasoning, rights and tricks to utilize absolute addressing;

Quote:
excerpt from 'man nfs';
The server's hostname and export pathname are separated by a colon, while the mount options are
separated by commas. The remaining fields are separated by blanks or tabs.

The server's hostname can be an unqualified hostname, a fully qualified domain name, a dotted
quad IPv4 address, or an IPv6 address enclosed in square brackets. Link-local and site-local
IPv6 addresses must be accompanied by an interface identifier. See ipv6(7) for details on speci-
fying raw IPv6 addresses.
I can understand your original content but the OP may not. The below tutorial will help the OP;

Rute Tutorial & Exposition;
Above examples should help the OP.
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,066
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankbot View Post
For starters, you should not be using RedHat 4. It's old and patches are no longer available.

You should never NFS export anything under /tmp either as that's a special part of the file system. You should always use fully qualified host names instead of IP addresses too, so make sure your network is properly setup BEFORE playing with NSF.
Ummmm ... you need to read a security 101 or something. The moment
you use DNS the exports become susceptible to DNS spoofing attacks.

Sure, it's more overhead to set-up, and not quite as easy to read
and know which machine is which, but for services like NFS, and more
so in firewall set-ups, using IPs over DNS names is crucial, imho.



Cheers,
Tink
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Export PATH scucci Linux - Newbie 3 10-28-2009 09:14 PM
Ubuntu 8.04 loses my $PATH. Why do I have to repeatedly export PATH= ? oouc Ubuntu 10 09-14-2009 12:54 AM
export PATH problem arnuld Fedora 13 12-13-2007 11:01 AM
export Path=/usr/java:$Path does not seem to work lumix Linux - Newbie 1 03-19-2007 04:11 PM
export PATH Question Loosewheel Linux - Software 5 01-18-2006 02:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration