LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,470

Rep: Reputation: 85
Can I live boot from a DVD-R?


I usually live boot from a USB flash drive but I just got some DVD-Rs with 4.3GB (or 4.7GB) capacity. The iso I want is Xubuntu 16.04LTS and that is 1.2 GB. Live booting to a USB drive has always been a little tricky for me. Will it be easier to live boot to the DVD-R? Would mkusb put the iso on a DVD-R? (That's what I usually use to live boot to a USB flash drive.)

Thanks.
 
Old 05-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,383

Rep: Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199
You usually download an ISO file. You then use a CD/DVD burning software to properly place that iso file on the disc. You don't simply copy it. If you have windows or linux (even if either is live) you can burn the optical media. I have never used mkusb to place the data on a disc but maybe it can now be done.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mint, OpenBSD
Posts: 11,346
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731Reputation: 2731
To build on what jefro said, you likely need to use a disk-burning program to make the optical disk. In whatever burning program you use, be sure to use the the "burn image" tool.

Where that is buried on the menu varies from one program to another.

According to this link, mkusb is strictly for copying to mass storage devices (drives), not to optical media.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #4
JJJCR
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,102

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
As Jefro stated it might be possible to use mkusb to cd or dvd.

From this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1958073

It says:

Quote:
mkusb will 'use the whole device', actually only the head end (size of the iso file), but the rest of the device is not available. mkusb simply clones the ISO 9660 file system with its content from the iso file. This ISO 9660 file system works from CD/DVD disks, and also from USB drives. After using a USB pendrive like this, you make a new partition table and file system, if you want to use it for another purpose.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,470

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
You usually download an ISO file. You then use a CD/DVD burning software to properly place that iso file on the disc. You don't simply copy it. If you have windows or linux (even if either is live) you can burn the optical media. I have never used mkusb to place the data on a disc but maybe it can now be done.
Thanks jefro. Yeah, I know copying is not enough, but mkusb (I thought it just used the DD command to copy it.) somehow does make the USB flash drive bootable. (I've used it before. It's quick and easy and works.)
 
Old 05-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,470

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
To build on what jefro said, you likely need to use a disk-burning program to make the optical disk. In whatever burning program you use, be sure to use the the "burn image" tool.

Where that is buried on the menu varies from one program to another.

According to this link, mkusb is strictly for copying to mass storage devices (drives), not to optical media.
Thanks Frank. Yeah, I'll make sure to look for the "burn image."

I really thought mkusb burned to DVDs too, but I just looked at it now and it looks like it doesn't. Oh well, I'll use K3b instead.
 
Old 05-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,470

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJCR View Post
As Jefro stated it might be possible to use mkusb to cd or dvd.

From this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1958073

It says:
Thanks JJJCR. Yeah, maybe mkusb will make it to a DVD but there's just so much information in that link, I think it will be easier just to boot to a USB flash drive or use K3b to burn the iso to a DVD.
 
Old 05-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,383

Rep: Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199
That iso should be a hybrid. A standard burning program in linux normally handles it fine.
mkusb has a number of features for making a usb but you don't need it. I've seen where you can use dd to copy the iso to a disc too. There are so many ways of making a disc it isn't funny. Once in a while you find some programs may give an issue with how it see's the drive and disc. Might have to be sure you select dvd in a setting.

Generally you want to burn at slowest speed.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:09 AM   #9
beachboy2
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Wild West Wales, UK
Distribution: Ubuntu MATE, Mint MATE & antiX MX-15
Posts: 1,664
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 562Reputation: 562Reputation: 562Reputation: 562Reputation: 562Reputation: 562
Gregg,

Once you have downloaded the Xubuntu 16.04 .iso file to your Desktop, or wherever, open your burning software (Brasero, K3b or xfburn etc) and click on “Burn an existing image to CD/DVD”.

Insert DVD and then browse your Desktop (or other Download directory) for the 16.04 .iso file.

Click on “Burn”. Wait until the DVD is finally ejected and you receive the “Success” message.

Make sure that the DVD is set to boot ahead of HDD in the Boot Order in your BIOS and off you go.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,470

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
That iso should be a hybrid. A standard burning program in linux normally handles it fine.
mkusb has a number of features for making a usb but you don't need it. I've seen where you can use dd to copy the iso to a disc too. There are so many ways of making a disc it isn't funny. Once in a while you find some programs may give an issue with how it see's the drive and disc. Might have to be sure you select dvd in a setting.

Generally you want to burn at slowest speed.
Thanks jefro. I read somewhere all the ubuntu isos are hybrids and I'm using Xubuntu so I should be okay with that.
 
Old 05-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,470

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
Gregg,

Once you have downloaded the Xubuntu 16.04 .iso file to your Desktop, or wherever, open your burning software (Brasero, K3b or xfburn etc) and click on “Burn an existing image to CD/DVD”.

Insert DVD and then browse your Desktop (or other Download directory) for the 16.04 .iso file.

Click on “Burn”. Wait until the DVD is finally ejected and you receive the “Success” message.

Make sure that the DVD is set to boot ahead of HDD in the Boot Order in your BIOS and off you go.
Thanks beachboy2. Did exactly what you said in K3b. Burned it. On to the next step.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] cannot boot live backtrack dvd Vegan Linux - Newbie 11 09-27-2010 10:57 AM
Suse 10.2 LIVE DVD can't boot raafaell Linux - General 2 01-29-2007 07:01 PM
Can't boot 9.3 Live from DVD sputnik0110 SUSE / openSUSE 1 07-13-2005 01:55 AM
boot live cd or dvd with grub sharky Linux - Software 5 04-05-2005 03:23 PM
can't boot Suse Live 9.2 DVD igracgq SUSE / openSUSE 4 11-06-2004 01:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration