LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Can anyone decode these OpenVPN/ Ubuntu instructions?


I am trying to install secretsline.biz OpenVPN in Ubuntu but I don't understand these instructions, is anyone able to tell me what they want me to put in the terminal?, I've taken some guesses but got it wrong.

Now we need to unpack configs archive and copy them to /etc/openvpn/. Go to your browser Downloads dir ( /home/secretsline/Downloads/ for user secretsline). For another subscribes you need to change archive name ( we used DE-subscribe, so archive called config_de.zip).
secretsline@secretsline-desktop:~$ cd /home/secretsline/Downloads secretsline@secretsline-desktop:~/Downloads$ unzip config_de.zip Archive: config_de.zip inflating: DE_SecretsLine.ovpn inflating: cert.dat inflating: vpn-up.sh inflating: vpn-down.sh secretsline@secretsline-desktop:~/Downloads$ sudo cp DE_SecretsLine.ovpn cert.dat vpn-up.sh vpn-down.sh /etc/openvpn
 
Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
tux111
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 64

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You've to copy DE_SecretsLine.ovpn, cert.dat vpn-up.sh vpn-down.sh from the zip-file to the /etc/openvpn directory. Then execute /etc/openvpn/vpn-up.sh

BTW: an own VPS server with OpenVPN is clearly cheaper than this $9 or $29 (!) a month service!

Last edited by tux111; 05-20-2013 at 04:33 AM.
 
Old 05-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux111 View Post
You've to copy DE_SecretsLine.ovpn, cert.dat vpn-up.sh vpn-down.sh from the zip-file to the /etc/openvpn directory. Then execute /etc/openvpn/vpn-up.sh

BTW: an own VPS server with OpenVPN is clearly cheaper than this $9 or $29 (!) a month service!
Hmmmm....I still don't understand.

I'll try a VPS with OpenVPN if I can't get this to work by the end of the month.

BTW: It is a $22 dollar service (I purchased a dedicated ip with it.)

Last edited by TheCorporation; 05-20-2013 at 05:00 AM.
 
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
tux111
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 64

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorporation View Post
Hmmmm....I still don't understand.
What do you not understand? You know how to extract a zip file and copy files?
 
Old 05-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
LiNuXkOlOnIe
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: North germany
Distribution: Linux Mint
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 16
Use unzip on the terminal/console.

You must be root to extract the files into /etc/.

Have you already openvpn installed ? sudo apt-get install openvpn

As far as i understand this is an VPN client ?

So you can use sudo openvpn <config-file-with-account-details-to-connect-to-VPN-server> too.

I like it this way better as in the network-manager cos you have the output.

For the terminal try ALT+F2 and type in xterm.

btw you don't have to install the client files into /etc/. It works fine in every directory.
 
Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux111 View Post
What do you not understand? You know how to extract a zip file and copy files?
Yes I know how to extract and copy files. The tutorial from secretsline.biz is for a earlier version of Ubuntu and it appears the instructions don't match up with the files that I've downloaded.

I spent two months trying to install a OpenVPN in CentOS with help from others and still failed. I will only give this one more week trying to get this done, in Windows I have no problems installing OpenVPN's.
 
Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNuXkOlOnIe View Post
Use unzip on the terminal/console.

You must be root to extract the files into /etc/.

Have you already openvpn installed ? sudo apt-get install openvpn

As far as i understand this is an VPN client ?

So you can use sudo openvpn <config-file-with-account-details-to-connect-to-VPN-server> too.

I like it this way better as in the network-manager cos you have the output.

For the terminal try ALT+F2 and type in xterm.

btw you don't have to install the client files into /etc/. It works fine in every directory.
Yes sir it is a VPN client and already installed. I think I might just pay a Linux expert to remotely install this OpenVPN as I wish not to spend another two months trying to install an OpenVPN like I did with CentOS especially when I can install OpenVPN's into Window 7 in about 10 minutes.

Any ideas on how much it will cost to get this remotely done by a seasoned Linux expert by any chance?
 
Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
LiNuXkOlOnIe
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: North germany
Distribution: Linux Mint
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 16
Question

You don't have to pay anyone. I think you're smart enough to manage this on your own. But i think you are a first time Linux user ? Am i right ?

If you use CentOS - which i never installed or used in anyway - your Distro is RPM based. So far as i know there is no apt-get in RPM based Distros. Right ?

Please answer this questions.

Do you know how to handle files with the filemanager or terminal ?
Install packages from your Distro ? Using rpm - Installing packages
You have installed the Client but not the OpenVPN package ? Look at the very last chapter "Install Files on Client"

Try this. If it still don't work pm me for IRC help. Maybe i can help.

cu
 
Old 05-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNuXkOlOnIe View Post
You don't have to pay anyone. I think you're smart enough to manage this on your own. But i think you are a first time Linux user ? Am i right ?

If you use CentOS - which i never installed or used in anyway - your Distro is RPM based. So far as i know there is no apt-get in RPM based Distros. Right ?

Please answer this questions.

Do you know how to handle files with the filemanager or terminal ?
Install packages from your Distro ? Using rpm - Installing packages
You have installed the Client but not the OpenVPN package ? Look at the very last chapter "Install Files on Client"

Try this. If it still don't work pm me for IRC help. Maybe i can help.

cu
Sorry for the late reply,

Yes sir I'm a first time Linux user. I'm not sure about your CentOS question as I don't understand command lines yet.

I don't know how to handle files with file manager or the terminal.

I spent two months researching and trying to get OpenVPN installed in CentOS plus $200usd payed out to four different persons to try get this done and it all ended in failure. The last guy I payed was a Linux administrator and he still failed so I don't believe it is possible to install an OpenVPN in CentOS so I have Ubuntu installed now and I'm hoping this will bring success.

pm sent.

Last edited by TheCorporation; 05-26-2013 at 01:03 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
procmailrc decode data from base64 encoded emails - trying to decode with uudeview garyrickert Linux - Software 6 10-06-2015 03:41 PM
LXer: LibreOffice 4.0 Installation Instructions for Ubuntu 12.10 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-07-2013 03:01 AM
LXer: Firefox 5 Released (Ubuntu Installation Instructions) LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-21-2011 08:40 PM
Will These Ubuntu Instructions Work? carlosinfl Debian 1 05-28-2007 01:19 PM
Ubuntu software install instructions ! bigjohn Linux - Newbie 1 05-07-2006 01:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration