LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,475

Rep: Reputation: 85
Can't use website editor from Linux computer


Hey. I just got a newer computer (I have two--one home, one at work) that is more powerful. Only problem is I can't edit my Godaddy website from it. The Godaddy site comes up and I can get into it but the editing features don't work.

I've never been able to edit the site from Firefox, but I have (and am still able to) been able to edit it on the older computer from Chrome.

So yeah, I can't edit the site on the newer computer from either browser.

The only difference I can think of (both computers have Xubuntu 14.10) is that on the newer computer I installed the firewall. I may have on the older one too. I'm not sure at this point and not at the computer.

Anyway, would that firewall be a potential cause or would it be something else?

Any suggestions?
 
Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
T3RM1NVT0R
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Internet
Distribution: Linux Mint, SLES, CentOS, Red Hat
Posts: 2,385

Rep: Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476
Did you get in touch with Godaddy guys to know which browser they suggest to use with their website tool? More than a firewall it appears to be some kind of browser plugin issue.

Did you try turning off firewall and then give it a try, in this way you will be able to isolate if it is a firewall issue or not.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #3
Rebekah
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Location: Iowa
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 8
Good tips! Other suggestion--ditch Godaddy and use the $ saved to buy the book Head First HTML, CSS, and XHTML from O'Reilly. That will solve problems across any system and browser. Also, women might like you more for not supporting Godaddy. Depending on the scope of your website, though, it may be a more long-term solution than you'd like.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:27 AM   #4
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mint, OpenBSD
Posts: 11,366
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751
I agree with T3RM1NVT0R that this is a issue best posed to GoDaddy tech support. My experiences with GoDaddy tech support have been nothing but positive.

I have had no problem using the WordPress editor under GoDaddy, but I have not tried to edit my non-WordPress website files via GoDaddy. Generally, I edit and test them locally, then ftp the new files to my website.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
jross
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 164

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post

So yeah, I can't edit the site on the newer computer from either browser.

The only difference I can think of (both computers have Xubuntu 14.10) is that on the newer computer I installed the firewall. I may have on the older one too. I'm not sure at this point and not at the computer.

Anyway, would that firewall be a potential cause or would it be something else?
Just to be clear (so you don't do something drastic), ubuntu comes with the firewall (you didn't "install" anything) -- all you did was enable it. You can reverse that with:
Code:
sudo ufw disable
The only remotely way that could be a factor that I can think of would be if the new computer was at work.

Also, and this is also a question for gurus here: Wouldn't Firefox and Chrome on linux render the same as on any other platform? IOW, isn't it irrelevent in that regard as to what OS you have using the browser?

Are you aware that Xubuntu 14.10 ends support in 3 months?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #6
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,475

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1NVT0R View Post
Did you get in touch with Godaddy guys to know which browser they suggest to use with their website tool? More than a firewall it appears to be some kind of browser plugin issue.

Did you try turning off firewall and then give it a try, in this way you will be able to isolate if it is a firewall issue or not.
Thanks. It was on Godaddy's end. Something to do with the "lock all layers." I can only edit my Godaddy site from Chrome. Firefox, which I'd rather use, makes a hash of it, and it displays improperly as well. Oh well.
 
Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #7
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,475

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekah View Post
Good tips! Other suggestion--ditch Godaddy and use the $ saved to buy the book Head First HTML, CSS, and XHTML from O'Reilly. That will solve problems across any system and browser. Also, women might like you more for not supporting Godaddy. Depending on the scope of your website, though, it may be a more long-term solution than you'd like.
Thanks Rebekah. I definitely am all for women liking me more! Will check out the O'Reilly thing.
 
Old 04-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #8
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,475

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
I agree with T3RM1NVT0R that this is a issue best posed to GoDaddy tech support. My experiences with GoDaddy tech support have been nothing but positive.

I have had no problem using the WordPress editor under GoDaddy, but I have not tried to edit my non-WordPress website files via GoDaddy. Generally, I edit and test them locally, then ftp the new files to my website.
Thanks Frank. Yeah, for the most part Godaddy support has been great. Some techs of course are better than others but for the most part yeah, I've been very satisfied with them.
 
Old 04-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,475

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
Just to be clear (so you don't do something drastic), ubuntu comes with the firewall (you didn't "install" anything) -- all you did was enable it. You can reverse that with:
Code:
sudo ufw disable
The only remotely way that could be a factor that I can think of would be if the new computer was at work.

Also, and this is also a question for gurus here: Wouldn't Firefox and Chrome on Linux render the same as on any other platform? IOW, isn't it irrelevent in that regard as to what OS you have using the browser?

Are you aware that Xubuntu 14.10 ends support in 3 months?
Thanks jross. No, the firewall didn't have anything to do with it. I kind of jumped the gun really. I can be too quick to think that any problem is Linux's fault. (Sorry Linux!)

But to answer your first question. No, Firefox and Chrome do not render the same. For whatever reason I can not edit on Firefox at all. And the rendering on Firefox is substantially off.

And thanks for the heads-up about the end of support. I've been waiting to get the upgrade notice.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Website discrimination against linux or my computer invaded? dgoddard Linux - Newbie 10 08-23-2009 11:24 PM
What is a good website editor on Linux? Frontpage/Dreamweaver? QueenZ Linux - Newbie 6 03-17-2009 04:54 PM
what is a good website editor for fedora olracdor Linux - Software 2 11-15-2008 03:47 PM
Who owns a linux or computer related website? h1tman General 7 03-25-2004 08:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration