LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
StanShi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Can't boot up with Slackware 12.0


Hi,
I am really new to linux. Basically, I followed the prompt and some instructions i found on the web to complete the install of slackware.

After installation, i reboot the dell bladeserver.
Druing the boot process.
It shows something like this
************************************
PXE E53: No boot file name received
Exit Intel boot agent.
Grub _
************************************
with flashing cursor and nothing more.

I reinstalled slackware 5 times and try different setting. doesn't work.

Anyone can help me with that??

Thanks a lot !!!!

Stan
 
Old 08-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Okie
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 977

Rep: Reputation: 36
not sure what you did or didnt do, but Slackware comes with LILO, either you did not edit grub's menu.1st correctly or LILO was not installed to the MBR,

if you are dual booting with another Linux distro you simply need to edit grubs menu.1st and add Slackware to it...
 
Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
deadeyes
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 609

Rep: Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanShi View Post
Hi,
I am really new to linux. Basically, I followed the prompt and some instructions i found on the web to complete the install of slackware.

After installation, i reboot the dell bladeserver.
Druing the boot process.
It shows something like this
************************************
PXE E53: No boot file name received
Exit Intel boot agent.
Grub _
************************************
with flashing cursor and nothing more.

I reinstalled slackware 5 times and try different setting. doesn't work.

Anyone can help me with that??

Thanks a lot !!!!

Stan
Is your boot sequence setup to boot from hdd?
Maybe there is only PXE boot enabled(booting from network)
 
Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
StanShi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
LILO installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie View Post
not sure what you did or didnt do, but Slackware comes with LILO, either you did not edit grub's menu.1st correctly or LILO was not installed to the MBR,

if you are dual booting with another Linux distro you simply need to edit grubs menu.1st and add Slackware to it...
Hi, I installed LILO as prompt "try to install LILO automaticlly" on Root. but not on MBR.

I have two partition hda1 Boot Primary Linux and had2 primary linux swap.


How to edit grubs menu when i still can't get any access to the machine? after i reboot, i can get into setup using F2, get into PXE Boot using F12, and that's it. if I don't hit any key, the screen will show as i described before, and hand there, the only choice left will be Ctrl + alt + Del

Thanks for you help again.
 
Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
StanShi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyes View Post
Is your boot sequence setup to boot from hdd?
Maybe there is only PXE boot enabled(booting from network)
Looks like it is.
How can I change it?? ( maybe it's a really stupid questions....but, i am scared and need a way to do it)

Thanks for you advice.
 
Old 08-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Okie
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 977

Rep: Reputation: 36
if you know the disk partition you installed slackware to you can use the #1 slackware Cdrom to boot your installed system, and fix /etc/lilo.conf so it points to the MBR then run the executable /sbin/lilo in a terminal...

read the text you get before the #1 slackware CD boots, dont worry it will sit there and not boot until you are ready to boot it,
Code:
boot = /dev/hda
prompt
timeout = 9950
lba32
image = /boot/bzImage
  root = /dev/hda1
  label = Slackware
  read-only
this is mine, yours will have lots of other stuff in it as i made my own, the the key point is "boot = /dev/hda" which is your MBR make sure it says that or if you have scsi or sata disks it may say "boot = /dev/sda" you just dont want it to point to root = /dev/sda# or root = dev/hda# where # is some number representing a disk partition...
 
Old 08-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
deadeyes
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 609

Rep: Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanShi View Post
Looks like it is.
How can I change it?? ( maybe it's a really stupid questions....but, i am scared and need a way to do it)

Thanks for you advice.
Dont you get any boot messages like F12 for Setup or something like that?

Or is it only possible to boot from PXE (I think that is very unlikely).

Otherwhise, boot from the cd and mount the volume, then do a grub-install.

Put it in the MBR, otherwhise your partition where you installed grub should be set active(fdisk is your friend for that)
 
Old 08-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #8
StanShi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyes View Post
Dont you get any boot messages like F12 for Setup or something like that?

Or is it only possible to boot from PXE (I think that is very unlikely).

Otherwhise, boot from the cd and mount the volume, then do a grub-install.

Put it in the MBR, otherwhise your partition where you installed grub should be set active(fdisk is your friend for that)
after i reboot, i can get into setup using F2, get into PXE Boot using F12, and that's it. if I don't hit any key, the screen will show as i described before, and hand there, the only choice left will be Ctrl + alt + Del
 
Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
StanShi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
It works . Thanks for all your help~

I recreate the lilo.conf using liloconfig in /sbin folder. it works .
Also, I change the boot sequences.

Thanks for all your help~!!!!
 
Old 08-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
Okie
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 977

Rep: Reputation: 36
cool, glad to be of help...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About Slackware 9.1 boot disk?? ftp://ftp.kpn.be/pub/linux/slackware/slackware-9.1-is AL3OMDAH Slackware 4 04-18-2007 10:54 AM
Dual boot windows/slackware, but slackware installed first? Cryptic_K Slackware 3 11-20-2006 01:49 PM
system alarm on boot in slackware 10.0 but not win2000(dual boot) Arch Stanton Slackware 3 01-24-2005 11:33 AM
Fresh Slackware 9.1 installation requires boot disk to boot smithtodda Slackware - Installation 7 06-23-2004 10:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration