I am a Newbie with a very strange problem. Suddenly I cannot access my Email, or my ISP's (Blueyonder) home page. Potted History:-
Was using ME/Mozilla 1.7/Eudora 6.summat.
Moved to Mandrake Linux 10/Konqeror/Kmail - browsing/Email fine.
Kept ME for games. ME and Linux on different hard drives.
Installed Mozilla 1.6 on Linux - because that's what they supplied as an RPM.
Linux/Mozilla 1.6/Kmail - All working fine.
Upgraded ME to XP. Installed Mozilla 1.7on XP. Setup Mozilla 1.7 to read Email.
XP/Mozilla 1.7/Mozilla 1.7 - Browsing and email all OK
Linux/Mozilla 1.6/Kmail - disaster. Cannot access email. Get "unable to connect to pop3.blueyonder.co.uk". I don't remember changing any Linux bits, it just stopped working.
Try to access Blueyonder (UK) [NB I'm not allowed to post a URL] with Linux/Mozilla 1.6, to check if server down - get timeout.
Switch to XP/Mozilla 1.7/Mozilla 1.7 - can read email and connect to Blueyonder (UK). Switch back to Linux/Mozilla 1.6/Kmail in case server just came back up - no joy.
I can browse to other sites, but not Blueyonder (UK). (I keep saying this because there's a Blueyonder (US) - I know, I tried)
Raised call with Blueyonder who tell me to try using IP address of 126.96.36.199. This gets me onto Blueyonder (UK) home page, with Linux/Mozilla 1.6. I then try Kmail, this works. Thus, once I've used Mozilla 1.6 to log on via IP, Kmail starts working.
I shut system down, restart Linux and try again - no joy. Try using IP address - get timeout, yet it did 20 minutes earlier. Tried using XP/Mozilla 1.7 just to check server and it works. Blueyonder don't allow replies. If their first bet doesn't fix it, you have to phone-in (and pay).
I can access my Email with XP/Mozilla 1.7
I can browse to Blueyonder (UK) and other sites using XP/Mozilla 1.7
I used to be able to access my Email using Mandrake Linux 10.0/Kmail and now I can't.
I cannot browse to Blueyonder (UK) using Mandrake Linux 10.0/Mozilla 1.6.
I can browse to other sites with Mandrake Linux 10.0/Mozilla 1.6
I have deinstalled and reinstalled Mozilla 1.6
I have cleared History, Location Bar, Cache.
I have disabled Internet Keywords, Location Bar Autocomplete, Domain Guessing.
The only oddity was that after my successful browse with the IP address, the location bar history was showing something like '.....blueyonder.co.uk\blueyonder\.....\index...' In other words 'blueyonder' was showing twice. I don't know if this is normal or if it indicates a name resolution problem. This is why I cleared things - but is there some config file that needs cleared. I've deconfigured, deleted, reconfigured, offered sacrifices, but I can't get it to work.
Sorry for the ramblings, but I moved to Linux for Internet/Email security reasons, but if I can't read my Email....
Hoping someone can help....