LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
patrickscott
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0

Thanks. I am trying to help a friend (living overseas) who has an Acer Aspire One (3 yrs old/ exact model not known) that has the the Acer linux 'light' OS.

I was able on my Acer One with Mint installed create a new Firefox account and delete the old one, but on my friend's netbook, when she types in

sudo firefox -profilemanager

a bunch of code apprears, not the Create New Account pop-up window.

I have asked my friend to send me the code and once I get it I will post it here.

By the way on my netbook

sudo firefox -profilemanager

asked me for a password --unknown--

but when I simply typed

firefox -profilemanager

the Create Account pop up window appeared.

THANKS!


Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelbarker View Post
Well, what should happen after the sudo firefox command is a small window should appear.

It sounds like that didn't happen for you?

You'll need to give us a clue what the "text" says ...
(sounds like there's something else going on)

Nige
 
Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #17
patrickscott
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Update on Acer Model Number

Greetings,

This is my friend's Acer model number.

Acer Aspire One AOA110-1113 Blue Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 8.9" 512MB (upgraded to 1GB) Memory 8GB SSD Netbook

It works great and is extremely fast... but no internet access through Firefox.

We are communicating via Skype. Skype is working fine.

Thanks again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickscott View Post
Thanks. I am trying to help a friend (living overseas) who has an Acer Aspire One (3 yrs old/ exact model not known) that has the the Acer linux 'light' OS.

I was able on my Acer One with Mint installed create a new Firefox account and delete the old one, but on my friend's netbook, when she types in

sudo firefox -profilemanager

a bunch of code apprears, not the Create New Account pop-up window.

I have asked my friend to send me the code and once I get it I will post it here.

By the way on my netbook

sudo firefox -profilemanager

asked me for a password --unknown--

but when I simply typed

firefox -profilemanager

the Create Account pop up window appeared.

THANKS!
 
Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
patrickscott
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Waiting for code..

Greetings,

As soon as I get the text that appears on my friend's computer, I will post it here.

Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickscott View Post
Thanks. I am trying to help a friend (living overseas) who has an Acer Aspire One (3 yrs old/ exact model not known) that has the the Acer linux 'light' OS.

I was able on my Acer One with Mint installed create a new Firefox account and delete the old one, but on my friend's netbook, when she types in

sudo firefox -profilemanager

a bunch of code apprears, not the Create New Account pop-up window.

I have asked my friend to send me the code and once I get it I will post it here.

By the way on my netbook

sudo firefox -profilemanager

asked me for a password --unknown--

but when I simply typed

firefox -profilemanager

the Create Account pop up window appeared.

THANKS!
 
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
patrickscott
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question New Problem

For whatever reason, the terminal is locked. When my friend tries typing in the terminal, nothing happens. No text appears.

How does one unlock a terminal?

Somehow when she entered
sudo firefox -profilemanager

she may have typed something else or some other keys. Additionally, her webcam is no longer working... If she was in Windows, I would suspect a virus...

The OS is linpus linux. If everything else fails, we will install Ubuntu 10. The hard part will be to find an external DVD player...

THANKS!



Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickscott View Post
Greetings,

As soon as I get the text that appears on my friend's computer, I will post it here.

Thanks.
 
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #20
patrickscott
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
One more problem

She noticed that if the changes the language to chinese, the characters/letters appear in the terminal, but if she changes the language to english, no characters/letters appear.

Help!




Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickscott View Post
For whatever reason, the terminal is locked. When my friend tries typing in the terminal, nothing happens. No text appears.

How does one unlock a terminal?

Somehow when she entered
sudo firefox -profilemanager

she may have typed something else or some other keys. Additionally, her webcam is no longer working... If she was in Windows, I would suspect a virus...

The OS is linpus linux. If everything else fails, we will install Ubuntu 10. The hard part will be to find an external DVD player...

THANKS!
 
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #21
nigelbarker
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 1
When you let us know what the "text" that appears was, and when you give us a clue what else she typed, we might stand a (slim) chance of being able to help.

Apart from that, I'd say wipe it and start again - that way you'll know the root password too.

Nige
 
Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #22
patrickscott
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for the reply

The most pressing problem right now is that when she types anything in the terminal, nothing happens. the rectangular cursor box does not move. No text is visible.

Interestingly, when she changes the language to Chinese, using the language options at the bottom right of the netbook, Chinese characters appear in the terminal window(vertical format). This, I assume, means that the terminal is not locked.

If she then changes the language back to English, once again, she can type nothing into the terminal.

As you suggested, our next option will be to reinstall the OS. She will probably install Ubuntu 10.4. (She has an Ubuntu CD.) Hopefully, Ubuntu can be installed with little or no problems. I have installed it on my laptop with no problems.

I have the original Linpus Linux installation disc here in the US but to send the CD and an external drive by 'safe' mail, e.g., Fedex, to Cebu, will cost a considerable amount of money.

If anybody known what's happening and how to resolve it, your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Pat







Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelbarker View Post
When you let us know what the "text" that appears was, and when you give us a clue what else she typed, we might stand a (slim) chance of being able to help.

Apart from that, I'd say wipe it and start again - that way you'll know the root password too.

Nige
 
Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 AM   #23
jl45
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
firefox -profilemanager

does not seem to work on the newest version of firefox, I downgraded back to 3.6.16 and it works fine.

Is there an alternative cmd?
 
Old 07-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
Alphabravox
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Same problem as previous users - no response on Browser icon. I have tried a new profile as per NigelBarker. Now from profile manager clicking "Start Firefox" works fine. But from the command line and from the icon I get an error message to the effect that Firefox is already running, so restart etc. Any ideas?
 
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #25
Alphabravox
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

I found this fix from "tur_third" on thread "firefox browser is not responding or running".

Open 'File Manager'
Under 'view' tick show hidden files
Rename .mozilla to say .mozillaold
You should now be able to get on the internet via Firefox (however you will have lost your favourites)

Like he says the favourites are gone but small price to pay as the browser now works from the icon. Many thanks
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me to install Pidgin on Linpus Linux Lite on Acer Aspire Sava Sever Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 11-29-2009 07:32 AM
[SOLVED] Problem: Installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix on Acer Aspire One running Linpus Linux Lite wodehouse Linux - Laptop and Netbook 7 10-06-2009 10:04 AM
Running SAP GUI on the New ACER Aspire one (linux lite) graham0921 Linux - Newbie 2 03-02-2009 06:02 AM
just got Acer Aspire 1 with Linux Linpus Lite, rebowen1943 Linux - Newbie 2 02-26-2009 10:54 PM
Acer Aspire One: Linux Linus Lite, instead of Windows XP Mikey_Sh Linux - Newbie 2 12-23-2008 12:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration