LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
sklipnoty
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Booting problem- GRUB 1.5 loading ... error 17


Hello,

I have a problem with booting,
it all started yesterday evening,
I was cruising on XP and saw that I had to much stuff on my HDD's
( Got internal - 250 gig and external harddrive 500 gig )
Other then that you ought to know that I have a double boot ( Linux-ubuntu 8.X and Xp MCE )

So I deleted a partion ( 50 GIG ) and then formatted it, to get more space basically. Not knowing that this partion was a part of my linux boot ? Or at least I think so, file swap system or the other thing.
Anyway I tried booting from Ubuntu CD and formatting every lose partion except for my XP and re-installing Linux, but that didn't work.

Every time I boot now,
I get the error:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait....
Error 17


Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

My regards,

Axl
 
Old 11-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 3,084
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklipnoty View Post
Hello,

I have a problem with booting,
it all started yesterday evening,
I was cruising on XP and saw that I had to much stuff on my HDD's
( Got internal - 250 gig and external harddrive 500 gig )
Other then that you ought to know that I have a double boot ( Linux-ubuntu 8.X and Xp MCE )

So I deleted a partion ( 50 GIG ) and then formatted it, to get more space basically. Not knowing that this partion was a part of my linux boot ? Or at least I think so, file swap system or the other thing.
Anyway I tried booting from Ubuntu CD and formatting every lose partion except for my XP and re-installing Linux, but that didn't work.

Every time I boot now,
I get the error:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait....
Error 17


Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

My regards,

Axl
well you wiped out the whole linux operating system. but left the master boot record. you might want to get a peogram called go back. or reload the system. the grub program lives on the MBR it loads all your system on you sda1 etc. good luck.
 
Old 11-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
sklipnoty
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeo View Post
well you wiped out the whole linux operating system. but left the master boot record. you might want to get a peogram called go back. or reload the system. the grub program lives on the MBR it loads all your system on you sda1 etc. good luck.

whats a peogram ? or you just meaning program.

how do I reload the sytem ?

and is there anyway to fix the MBR.

btw do you have a download link for this GO BACK thing.

thx
 
Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 14,928

Rep: Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865
Reinstall Ubuntu - it will rebuild the boot menu for dual-boot.
Else boot the XP install CD and get into recovery console when it says so - then run fixmbr. That will give you XP back again, but no Linux.
 
Old 11-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 3,084
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklipnoty View Post
whats a peogram ? or you just meaning program.

how do I reload the sytem ?

and is there anyway to fix the MBR.

btw do you have a download link for this GO BACK thing.

thx
peogram is a stupid typo error. and thank you for seeing that.
re install the system that big file you deleted was the linux system. a system is an operating system called linux. and the MBR is where you boot from that is why grub the little program on the mbr will not load because it is looking for the /boot/grub/menu.1st file that you deleted. so if you want windows back. then
put put your emegencey boot disk in and boot to the c/ and type fdisk mbr the type restore mbr. and now you can boot windows. or create a super grub disk and boot windows. If you do not know what is fdisk, MBR is or the program Grub a boot loader is please google them and read up.

Last edited by Drakeo; 11-29-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: not done
 
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
sklipnoty
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
Reinstall Ubuntu - it will rebuild the boot menu for dual-boot.
Else boot the XP install CD and get into recovery console when it says so - then run fixmbr. That will give you XP back again, but no Linux.

1. Like I said I wiped the remaining partions execpt for my MCE and reinstalled Unbuntu and guess what same error.

2. I don't have a XP installation CD
 
Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 14,928

Rep: Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865Reputation: 1865
Yeah, sorry I missed you said you had re-installed.
From the Ubuntu liveCD, open a terminal, and post the output of these commands
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
df -hT
 
Old 11-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
Duck2006
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron LST
Posts: 346

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
2. I don't have a XP installation CD
Some info on fixing your mbr in the live cd of ubuntu if you need to to boot win xp.

http://www.arsgeek.com/2008/01/15/ho...ubuntu-livecd/
http://www.ambience.sk/fdisk-master-...ilo-fixmbr.php
 
Old 12-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 3,084
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324
if you deleted it when you where using xp then it went to xp's recycle file put the live cd in and find the widows recycle bin folder and open it then copy it back to the place it was suposed to be. But if and when you deleted it Xp said this file is to large to go in the recycle bin you must delete it then sorry your back to loading a live cd and then sudo fdisk mbr. or load a live cd down load super grub burn the isoimage reboot with super grub and then it will chain load windows partition for you. or you can download xp's emergency boot disk and burn it to disk and then your can boot it and re install the windows master boot record. or you can reinstall the live cd again it will find the windows partition and then you can boot it and your back to normal.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is Grub loading error 21, and how can I fix the problem! logiplex Linux - Software 26 06-30-2009 04:20 PM
GRUB Loading starge 1.5... GRUB Loading please wait ERROR 21 davidjames Linux - Newbie 2 03-03-2008 11:01 AM
grub problem error 15 booting to another partition for fedora mehdiee Linux - Newbie 1 02-22-2008 02:11 AM
dual booting fedora with vista - boot error - "GRUB loading stage 2" ans Fedora 2 08-20-2007 07:12 AM
Got a problem with loading up my system... a GRUB error shows up. Ongeboren Linux - Hardware 4 01-17-2007 09:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration