LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
pranabesh.sarkar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Booting into linux without using grub/lilo


Here is my scenario. I work in a very restrictive environment and I want to use linux on my work laptop (currently running Windows XP prof). I am planning to install linux in a dual boot mode but I dont want to install grub/lilo or any other boot loader. i cannot even modify Windows bootloader to boot into linux partition.

Is there a way I can boot into linux partition without installing new boot loader or modifying the current windows boot loader? Any boot CD etc available that can boot into linux partition from my laptops HDD?

Thanks in advance
Pranav
 
Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 14,839

Rep: Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822Reputation: 1822
You have to install a loader into the Linux partition. Then you should be able to simply use the same install CD to boot that disk install later.
Else get the SuperGrubDisk.

Last edited by syg00; 04-21-2010 at 05:47 AM. Reason: That would be SGD
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
pranabesh.sarkar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. SuperGrubDisk does look like a feasible and user friendly solution.
 
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
But why do not you want grub or lilo on your system? And you are not comfortable with Super Grub as well. You need some boot manager in order to dual boot your system. Either use the third party or else that comes with linux or windows. You still need some though.
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,542
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranabesh.sarkar View Post
Here is my scenario. I work in a very restrictive environment and I want to use linux on my work laptop (currently running Windows XP prof). I am planning to install linux in a dual boot mode but I dont want to install grub/lilo or any other boot loader. i cannot even modify Windows bootloader to boot into linux partition.

Is there a way I can boot into linux partition without installing new boot loader or modifying the current windows boot loader? Any boot CD etc available that can boot into linux partition from my laptops HDD?

Thanks in advance
Pranav
Then look at using a 'VM'. I like 'VirtualBox' but there are other vm to allow you to run a GNU/Linux distribution client on the XP Host.

Look at the 'Virtual' section of 'Slackware-Links' . More than just SlackwareŽ links!
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxlover.chaitanya View Post
But why do not you want grub or lilo on your system? And you are not comfortable with Super Grub as well. You need some boot manager in order to dual boot your system. Either use the third party or else that comes with linux or windows. You still need some though.
I read it as the rules of the employer---but then those same rules probably don't allow the dual boot at all.....
 
Old 04-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,383

Rep: Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199
Personally I'd use a live cd or live usb. See pendrivelinux.com for ideas and distrowatch for live cd's. (everyone has a live cd)

Second might be to use a bootable floppy, cd, usb to boot to a partition.

Third might be to use what zipslack did. It used a fat file and made it possible to use a linux virtual filesystem.

See also how to move an wubi install to a flash disk.

If you have to have both up at the same time, save yourself a lot of trouble and use qemu. It will work OK on most newer systems and you don't need admin.
 
Old 04-22-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
@pixellany,

If OP's employer does not allow dual booting or does not want employees to install new softwares or operating systems, then OP is playing with rules.

@OP
If its allowed, sure go and install else get your own laptop and do what you want. I would not advice playing with the IT policies your employer has devised. That would not be a good idea.
 
Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
pranabesh.sarkar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank you all for your inputs. I will evaluate both SuperGrubDisk and pendrive option.

Sometimes IT policies are created by people who are shy of non-MS technologies due to comfort level or competencies. Incidently, people working in other locations in my organization are using Macs and Linux laptops. Its only in our location that this restriction exists. No sane reason as such :-)

Once again, thanks a lot for your help.
 
Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranabesh.sarkar View Post
Thank you all for your inputs. I will evaluate both SuperGrubDisk and pendrive option.

Sometimes IT policies are created by people who are shy of non-MS technologies due to comfort level or competencies. Incidently, people working in other locations in my organization are using Macs and Linux laptops. Its only in our location that this restriction exists. No sane reason as such :-)

Once again, thanks a lot for your help.
I understand what you mean. My previous company, one of the biggest IT MNC in the world, though worked on open source, did not employ open source as the technology for use. IT department did not even support open source applications. Though employees used Linux on desktops, only MS products were supported by IT.
Finally to work on Linux, gave up the MNC to work for a start up now.

Though it is not sane for them, but if they have IT policies you should abide by them.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Booting of raw ISO from GRUB/LILO (though preferably GRUB) Orkie Linux - Software 28 12-15-2013 10:37 PM
Dual Booting with lilo or GRUB. caa1980 Linux - General 3 12-09-2006 05:28 PM
custom BOOTING WITH LILO ...or GRUB khaleel5000 Linux - Newbie 3 03-29-2006 02:07 AM
Booting problems: grub and lilo neri Linux - Newbie 10 05-17-2004 11:17 AM
Booting GRUB through LILO? TheOneAndOnlySM Linux - Newbie 5 08-01-2003 09:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration