LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Black screen when run COD4. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/black-screen-when-run-cod4-858129/)

gonvaro 01-23-2011 08:49 AM

Black screen when run COD4.
 
Hi.

The windows programs run through the PlayOnLinux (http://www.playonlinux.com).

I have installed PlayOnLinux 3.8.8, and the game Call of Duty 4 (COD4).

When run it, the sound is fine but the black screen.

I've been reading other forums, but either do not understand or do not resolve the case.

The video card drivers are upgraded, is NVidia GeForce 8600M GT.

My system is openSUSE 11.3 with KDE.

Do not know what else I can say that will serve to please help me.

xeleema 01-24-2011 09:10 PM

Greetingz!

A couple of questions;

1) Do you have any logs?
2) Are there any errors in them?
3) Can you run "glxgears" for a few seconds?
(Do you get a set of three gears when you do that, or just an empty black box?)

gonvaro 01-25-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xeleema (Post 4236689)
Greetingz!

A couple of questions;

1) Do you have any logs?
2) Are there any errors in them?
3) Can you run "glxgears" for a few seconds?
(Do you get a set of three gears when you do that, or just an empty black box?)

Ok, Answers:

1) I don't know logs about it. Do you know?
2) No show errors, only the screen is black.
3) glxgears is ok
.

xeleema 01-25-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonvaro (Post 4237859)
Ok, Answers:
1) I don't know logs about it. Do you know?
2) No show errors, only the screen is black.
3) glxgears is ok

Okay, PlayOnLinux is WINE-based, so the logs should either be in a "dot directory" in your home directory (Do a "ls -la ~" and dig around the output), or they're somewhere in /var/. Been ages since I've used wine...

You mentioned that you've "upgraded" the NVidia GeForce 8600M GT drivers. Did you specifically get the ones from nVidia's website?
If by "Upgrade" you mean that you ran some sort of openSUSE 11.3 updater, then you probably just have a newer open-source driver, and not the binary driver provided by nVidia.

gonvaro 01-27-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xeleema (Post 4237889)
Okay, PlayOnLinux is WINE-based, so the logs should either be in a "dot directory" in your home directory (Do a "ls -la ~" and dig around the output), or they're somewhere in /var/. Been ages since I've used wine...

You mentioned that you've "upgraded" the NVidia GeForce 8600M GT drivers. Did you specifically get the ones from nVidia's website?
If by "Upgrade" you mean that you ran some sort of openSUSE 11.3 updater, then you probably just have a newer open-source driver, and not the binary driver provided by nVidia.

The NVidia GeForce 8600M GT drivers were downloaded from Nvidia's site directly, http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...-260.19.36.run

xeleema 02-02-2011 09:54 AM

Hey there!
Apologies for the delay, but for some reason I didn't see the notification that you'd posted to this thread.
Okay, now about your problem; are there any logs in your home directory? (Do an "ls -la ~" at a terminal window, and look for anything with "wine" or "play on linux" in the name)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.