LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
binari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Distribution: debian testing
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0

I`ve got that error too.
I have diferent kernels from kernel.org.
I recompiled a kernel 2.6.18.2 lately. And then, if I try to install ati drivers, I'm getting a message:

----
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.40.4...........
==================================================
ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.18.2; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.uO5980

----
Of corse I have kernel headers, because I compiled a kernel myself. So, what's wrong?

Last edited by binari; 09-25-2007 at 12:23 PM.
 
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #17
angryfirelord
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Posts: 514

Rep: Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by binari View Post
I`ve got that error too.
I have diferent kernels from kernel.org.
I recompiled a kernel 2.6.18.2 lately. And then, if I try to install ati drivers, I'm getting a message:

----
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.40.4...........
==================================================
ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.18.2; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.uO5980

----
Of corse I have kernel headers, because I compiled a kernel myself. So, what's wrong?
First, switch back to Etch's kernel.

Then, try this guide: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...river_Manually
It's for Feisty, but it should work for Debian. Just build the debs for etch & ignore the linux-restricted-modules-common part.
 
Old 10-18-2007, 03:00 AM   #18
njjk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Oly, WA
Distribution: Slackware -current
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm having the same issue on Slackware 12. How do you solve this problem on a non-Debian based distro?
 
Old 10-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #19
binari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Distribution: debian testing
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk View Post
I'm having the same issue on Slackware 12. How do you solve this problem on a non-Debian based distro?
I solved the problem!
You have to delete all kernels without distribution kernel, including .config, and compiled kernels and configs from /boot. Start system with distribution kernel, tar (j)zxf new kernel, configure, make modules modules_install bzImage install. Then restart, select this new compiled kernel, and ... voila Ati driver works!!
 
Old 11-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #20
Geostegma
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 16

Rep: Reputation: 0
Could you please explain in a more simple way? I'm not very familiar with linux and have the exact same problem.
 
Old 05-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #21
linux_nO0b
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geostegma View Post
Could you please explain in a more simple way? I'm not very familiar with linux and have the exact same problem.
same
 
Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #22
Camaro4life18
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If you are getting the following error:

Quote:
Originally Posted by binari View Post
I`ve got that error too.

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.18.2; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.uO5980
You need to run the driver in compatibility mode...

sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg

Choose a package listed:

sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/9.04


This will compile using an older version.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATI 8.29.6 driver working...(?) well... i think so Hyakutake Slackware 19 05-30-2007 03:23 AM
trying to get ati driver working. DeltaFeegamma Debian 1 05-04-2006 09:36 AM
Resolution Problems After ATI Driver Update. Harpo Linux - Newbie 3 04-26-2006 12:30 AM
xorg update and ATI driver altella Mandriva 1 02-05-2006 03:53 PM
Is this right for Working ATI driver MaTrIx709 Debian 2 08-02-2005 07:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration