Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I recently updated using yum to the latest kernel 2174. Previsouly, I was able to use the wireless assistant to connect to my wireless network. After the update, the atheros card wasn't even recognized anymore. I found an updated madwifi driver (in atrpms, a repo I usually don't use) and once I updated that it now finds the atheros card, although it is now an ethernet device instead of a wireless device. I cannot connect to my wireless network at all (wireless assistant sees the card, and sees my network, the connection fails every time though). I took off all encryption to see if that was the problem but it still fails. Am I missing something?
If this is the wrong forum please move it. I didn't know whether to put this in the fedora, hardware, or networking forum and didn't want to cross post.
I didn't know if this is the same as /lib/modules/`uname -r`/driver/net/wireless , but in /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2174_FC5/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
there isn't any atheros.ko or anything with atheros in it
iwconfig give me this
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
wifi0 no wireless extensions.
Warning: Driver for device ath0 has been compiled with version 20
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 19.
Some things may be broken...
ath0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:0 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality=0/94 Signal level=-95 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
sit0 no wireless extensions.
Well, I couldn't get the madwifi driver to compile, I couldn't get the windows driver to work with ndiswrapper, but I did uninstall and found a new driver in livna for madwifi. Now it works, better than before.
Madwifi now works with network manager and with wpa, something I was having much trouble with before.
Yea, although the steps I took aren't exactly "take charge"
When I updated my kernel to 2174 fedora no longer recognized my wireless card (atheros 5002G chipset). I couldn't find an updated driver through yum (I use the yum configuration of repos from fedorafaq.org) I then found an updated one from atrpms. When I used that one, I had errors saying that it had been compiled with a more recent version than supported. I proceded to remove that madwifi driver, and tried to compile my own version of madwifi. That gave me many errors about my kernelpath. After searching google about my kernel path, the consensus was either download the madwifi through yum, or use ndiswrapper. I tried ndiswrapper and couldn't get that to work properly with my wireless card. I proceded to remove that driver. It had now been two weeks since I updated the kernel, and I found that a newer version of madwifi was available using my regular repos. After downloading that, I checked to see if it worked and it did. I believe that the reason the newer madwifi driver from atrpms didn't work is the same reason that livna and atrpms don't work well together. They don't follow the same standard when packaging rpms.
So, in short the fix for my situation was to wait 2 weeks for an updated driver to be provided by livna