LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
wstay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 61

Rep: Reputation: 15
atheros ar8131 driver for suse linux 9.1


Can someone please show me where to find atheros ar8131 driver for suse linux 9.1?
 
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...131+l&gs_rfai=
 
Old 03-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
wstay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 61

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
I tired to download the driver from this site but cannot download because when I click on the Agree button to start the download, the download does not start and it brings me back to the download page. I tried several times and the same thing happened.
 
Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #4
wstay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 61

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstay View Post
I tired to download the driver from this site but cannot download because when I click on the Agree button to start the download, the download does not start and it brings me back to the download page. I tried several times and the same thing happened.
I go to the second link on the search page and can now download the driver.
I am now trying to install the driver.
Thanks and let's hope I succeed in installing the driver.
 
Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
wstay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 61

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
Although I succeed in downloading the atheros ar8131 driver, and after extracting the files, there isn't a ./config and a make install files to begin with. Any advise to help with this problem please.
 
Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #6
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
I just downloaded the driver, and there is a Makefile in the sources I downloaded. However, the archive was also damaged.

Maybe download your archive again, make sure it unpacks correctly (unpack it in a folder of its own, so you have all the files in one location) and then see if there is a Makefile.

It appears to me that the Makefile is not a standard one, but one intended for a Redhat system of some sort.

I haven't examined it really closely, but if you continue to have trouble, I'll have a closer look of nobody else has offered further help.

Sasha
 
Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
wstay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 61

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapefruiTgirl View Post
I just downloaded the driver, and there is a Makefile in the sources I downloaded. However, the archive was also damaged.

Maybe download your archive again, make sure it unpacks correctly (unpack it in a folder of its own, so you have all the files in one location) and then see if there is a Makefile.

It appears to me that the Makefile is not a standard one, but one intended for a Redhat system of some sort.

I haven't examined it really closely, but if you continue to have trouble, I'll have a closer look of nobody else has offered further help.

Sasha
Do you download AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.6.tar.gz or Atheros AR8131 Chipset Driver for Linux Version: 1.0.1.0? I find that I cannot download Atheros AR8131 Chipset Driver for Linux Version: 1.0.1. and I can download AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.6.tar.gz. I want to use the driver for Suse Linux 9.1. Please advise.
 
Old 03-25-2010, 02:36 AM   #8
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
Right, the one I downloaded was the 1.0.1.6.tar.gz archive.

I went to this page: http://www.chipdrivers.com/download-get/785/191/36/

and selected the file: AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.6.tar.gz (which says it is 131k in size)

Then agree to that license stuff and presto, it downloaded.

I don't quite understand your last post, beyond what I just wrote; is that not the driver version you want?
 
Old 03-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
wstay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 61

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I find the atheros ar8131 driver from this site, http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx
AR81Family Linux Driver
AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.6.tar.gz
131K
After extracting the AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.6.tar.gz file,can you please show me the command from there on to install it.
Thanks.
Do I use the ./config or make install or makefile command.

Last edited by wstay; 03-25-2010 at 03:45 AM.
 
Old 03-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #10
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
If I remember right, there was no configure script in there, only a Makefile, so if that's the case, just use that.
 
Old 03-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
wstay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 61

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapefruiTgirl View Post
If I remember right, there was no configure script in there, only a Makefile, so if that's the case, just use that.
I did use Makefile and post it onto the terminal but it won't run.
Any suggestion as to what I should do next?
 
Old 03-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #12
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
Not sure what you mean. Typically to use a Makefile, you just navigate into the folder where the Makefile is, and type "make". This calls the `make` binary tool, which reads the Makefile and follows the instructions within.

Try that, and if it doesn't work (i.e. if it quits with obvious errors), please copy & paste ALL of the output produced after giving the `make` command, from your terminal into your next post, and maybe we can try to figure out why it isn't working.

If it *does* work, `make` should output a bunch of stuff to the screen and then stop, with no error messages. After this, you usually type `make install` -- HOWEVER: if you use `make install` you will have the driver installed, but your package manager will not know about it. What I would generally do in this sort of case, is use some means of creating a package of the driver, so that you can install it with your package manager. NOTE: It appears you are running Mandriva, which I have never used, so I can't instruct you in any way about how to make a package for Mandriva, as I have no idea.

You can manually install the driver also, simply by copying the finished driver module (the .ko file) out of the location where you compiled it, and sticking it into /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/drivers/somewhere-here.. and running the `depmod` command. After that, use the `modprobe` command to insert the module, and you would be now ready to configure your wireless.

Anyhow, as yet we don't even know yet if you can successfully build the driver using `make` (it might be missing dependencies, or be configured for some other Linux, or not compatible with your kernel, etc..), so please try that first and see how that goes.

Sasha
 
Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 AM   #13
orangesky
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: 17
I have an acer laptop with atheros. Couldn't get it to work with a native linux driver, they all died at make.

Used NDISwrapper and downloaded the XP drivers from their site, worked flawlessly for me.
 
Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #14
wstay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 61

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapefruiTgirl View Post
Not sure what you mean. Typically to use a Makefile, you just navigate into the folder where the Makefile is, and type "make". This calls the `make` binary tool, which reads the Makefile and follows the instructions within.

Try that, and if it doesn't work (i.e. if it quits with obvious errors), please copy & paste ALL of the output produced after giving the `make` command, from your terminal into your next post, and maybe we can try to figure out why it isn't working.

If it *does* work, `make` should output a bunch of stuff to the screen and then stop, with no error messages. After this, you usually type `make install` -- HOWEVER: if you use `make install` you will have the driver installed, but your package manager will not know about it. What I would generally do in this sort of case, is use some means of creating a package of the driver, so that you can install it with your package manager. NOTE: It appears you are running Mandriva, which I have never used, so I can't instruct you in any way about how to make a package for Mandriva, as I have no idea.

You can manually install the driver also, simply by copying the finished driver module (the .ko file) out of the location where you compiled it, and sticking it into /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/drivers/somewhere-here.. and running the `depmod` command. After that, use the `modprobe` command to insert the module, and you would be now ready to configure your wireless.

Anyhow, as yet we don't even know yet if you can successfully build the driver using `make` (it might be missing dependencies, or be configured for some other Linux, or not compatible with your kernel, etc..), so please try that first and see how that goes.

Sasha
Thank you for your reply.
Actaully when I want to install this driver, it was for my ubuntu 8.10.
I did not succeed in installing the driver a few times. It even stopped my computer from booting. I have since formatted the ubuntu partition and install mandriva. Mandriva does not need this driver. I was just trying to see if the driver can run and install. May be I will try the Make command some other time if I happen to install ubuntu 8.10 again.
By the way, is this driver just for the wireless modem?
 
Old 03-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
That driver is for one or more similar devices made by the same company, and/or containing the same chipset inside it.

Assuming you use the same wireless device with Mandriva as with Ubuntu 8.10, the reason you did not need it with Mandriva is because the driver is already included or available from the package manager with Mandriva, where maybe it was not available with Ubuntu 8.10

Sasha
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
atheros ar8131 violetwire Linux - Networking 5 09-02-2010 01:27 AM
Atheros AR8131 fedora 10 linux eujeffersom Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 02-09-2010 11:35 PM
[SOLVED] Acer 1810TZ Atheros AR8131 & Intel WiFi 1000 BGN (Slack 13.0) marky9074 Slackware 5 12-03-2009 10:00 AM
Any Atheros linux driver available other than madwifi ?? vinodl Linux - Wireless Networking 2 08-22-2007 03:29 PM
Help me get the Atheros 5001X wireless driver to work for fujitsu N5010. OS: SUSE 10 pitchblack Linux - Hardware 2 10-09-2005 10:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration