LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
dunnery
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: East Stroudsburg
Distribution: Debian Jessie
Posts: 211

Rep: Reputation: 8
Astrology on linux


Where can I find someone to help me program an astrology app? There are many already out there on linux but none of them do what I want them to do. It would take a programmer to make it happen but I don't know how to go about finding. Someone like that. Any ideas?
 
Old 03-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,916

Rep: Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnery View Post
Where can I find someone to help me program an astrology app? There are many already out there on linux but none of them do what I want them to do. It would take a programmer to make it happen but I don't know how to go about finding. Someone like that. Any ideas?
There are MANY resources that would let you hire a contract programmer. The LQ Job Marketplace to the right of this very screen is only one. Post something there, along with how much you're willing to pay, and go from there. Just putting "contract programmer" into Google pulls up lots..the first hit:
https://www.freelancer.com/work/prog...g-contract-bid
 
Old 03-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
DavidMcCann
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: CentOS, Salix
Posts: 4,158

Rep: Reputation: 1223Reputation: 1223Reputation: 1223Reputation: 1223Reputation: 1223Reputation: 1223Reputation: 1223Reputation: 1223Reputation: 1223
The program Morinus is written in Python, which is said to be easy to learn, if you were to consider doing the job yourself. What features do you need added?
 
Old 03-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,817

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
if you want to use the pseudoscience of Astrology ( dating from before the 3d century BC )

use windows 7 or 8

there a ton of scam tools that will steal your cash for you

PS.
my univ background in in astrophysics and astronomy

Last edited by John VV; 03-22-2015 at 03:28 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
dunnery
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: East Stroudsburg
Distribution: Debian Jessie
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 8
This is difficult to explain if you are not an astrologer but......... in windows on the solar fire astrology program you can type in someone's birht details and it calculates the planetary positions at their time of birth. Then, as well as displaying their astrology chart you can actually print out a pre written astrological interpretation of their personality. The program comes with pre written text but you can also write in your own. In effect, it gives you your own written interpretations for any chart you enter.

The problem is it does not allow you to put the program on the server so when I am selling my charts to clients I have to enter the info myself and print it out myself. I would like the clients to enter their details on my website and have the program calculate and then send to them on an email my own pre written astrological interpretations without me having to do anything other than write the interpretations beforehand.

Does this make sense?
 
Old 03-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
JeremyBoden
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Posts: 937

Rep: Reputation: 174Reputation: 174
Not really.

You want to take advantage of credulous fools.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,002

Rep: Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520Reputation: 2520
Use a job board (Craigslist works well, but LQ offers one too) to hire a freelancer.
 
Old 03-23-2015, 03:22 AM   #8
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 5,150
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 691Reputation: 691Reputation: 691Reputation: 691Reputation: 691Reputation: 691
Exclamation

Hi Dunnery...

Just as a heads up, you don't want to involve yourself with this kind of thing. It's satanic and demonic at it's root and and the result is always lies, deception and destruction...now and for eternity for yourself and for others! Please see here and here. Even though they are primarily written for other Christians, I would really encourage you to read them carefully.

God (through Jesus Christ) has much, much better for you, I can positively assure you.

Regards...

Last edited by ardvark71; 03-23-2015 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Added information.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:34 AM   #9
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
@ardvark71
Pot...kettle...black
jdk
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:52 AM   #10
pan64
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Location: Hungary
Distribution: debian i686 (solaris)
Posts: 8,104

Rep: Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267Reputation: 2267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnery View Post
Does this make sense?
I do not like that approach, but anyway those apps usually work inside wine, so there is no need to rewrite them. Also there are free programs available on the net. I do not really understand what do you want to sell.
 
Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #11
dunnery
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: East Stroudsburg
Distribution: Debian Jessie
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 8
I have no intention of debating religious or philosophical issues, I just wanted a programmer. For the record, I'm an atheist. I do not believe in God, fairies, pixies, leprechauns, walking on water, 72 virgins, talking snakes or astrology. I study jungian psychology and the religious component to the psyche. That doesn't mean I believe in it. It's like studying witch doctors in Africa who believe there's a giant demon called swalla. I'm interested in what drives their beliefs but I don't expect to see swalla anytime soon. Same as Allah, Jesus, Jehovah or any of the other fairy tales out there. So please stick to linux issues and don't worry about my relationship with Jesus. I've studied religion for thirty years and it's a complete farce from top to bottom. If I rot in hell then hopefully they'll have a ubuntu distro and I'll write back and tell you what it's like.
 
Old 03-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #12
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Sutton, MA. USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu
Posts: 4,087
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnery View Post
I have no intention of debating religious or philosophical issues, I just wanted a programmer. For the record, I'm an atheist. I do not believe in God, fairies, pixies, leprechauns, walking on water, 72 virgins, talking snakes or astrology. I study jungian psychology and the religious component to the psyche. That doesn't mean I believe in it. It's like studying witch doctors in Africa who believe there's a giant demon called swalla. I'm interested in what drives their beliefs but I don't expect to see swalla anytime soon. Same as Allah, Jesus, Jehovah or any of the other fairy tales out there. So please stick to linux issues and don't worry about my relationship with Jesus. I've studied religion for thirty years and it's a complete farce from top to bottom. If I rot in hell then hopefully they'll have a ubuntu distro and I'll write back and tell you what it's like.
Sticking to the Linux issues ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnery View Post
This is difficult to explain if you are not an astrologer but......... in windows on the solar fire astrology program you can type in someone's birht details and it calculates the planetary positions at their time of birth. Then, as well as displaying their astrology chart you can actually print out a pre written astrological interpretation of their personality. The program comes with pre written text but you can also write in your own. In effect, it gives you your own written interpretations for any chart you enter.

The problem is it does not allow you to put the program on the server so when I am selling my charts to clients I have to enter the info myself and print it out myself. I would like the clients to enter their details on my website and have the program calculate and then send to them on an email my own pre written astrological interpretations without me having to do anything other than write the interpretations beforehand.

Does this make sense?
So you want a website developed, and this doesn't necessarily have to be in Linux, to satisfy your business requirements. One suggestion is the as stated before recommendation where you solicit for a programmer who you pay to perform this project for you, and the LQ Newbie forum is not where you do this. The other suggestion is to put in effort to write your own programs or website and post inquiry threads when you need assistance accomplishing a next step, but showing how far you've progressed.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #13
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,130
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825
Just a reminder: This is the Linux-Newbie subforum, a forum where the problems of newcomers to Linux are discussed and solved.
If you want to discuss religion or related non-technical topics we have the non-*NIX/General forum where you can do that. Keep this thread on topic, please.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: 8 of the Best Free Linux Astrology Software LXer Syndicated Linux News 3 03-29-2010 07:35 AM
tarot and astrology ninja master Linux - Software 9 11-28-2008 01:59 AM
Wine and an astrology program - What font am I missing / how do I add it? SBing Linux - Software 2 10-04-2004 03:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration