Thank you for your response. Sorry for the belated response, I was off architecting other areas of the machine until now. I've added your suggested changes to the code and so far so good. The trouble is, I added some code to force a 0x0d into the data stream and the problem I had before did not recurr. Just for kicks, I added another test, this time with a 0x0A in the data stream and same thing. No problems.
I'm wondering if I maybe ran another program in between which changed the termios settings so they were causing this problem. If so, I haven't reproduced it so far.
Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to send a reply.