LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   apt-get or apt-fast on Ubuntu 12.04 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/apt-get-or-apt-fast-on-ubuntu-12-04-a-4175422454/)

leosubhadeep 08-16-2012 01:10 PM

apt-get or apt-fast on Ubuntu 12.04
 
I have recently read somewhere (Can't remember the site's name) that apt-fast acts much faster than apt-get on Ubuntu. Now I haven't heard of that, all I have are the GUI-based installers (e.g. Ubuntu S/W center and Deepin) and terminal-based installers: apt-get,smart even yum!

Is this true that apt-fast works faster than all? I thought to ask you people prior to having it, because I have lots of installers/Package Managers stated above.

evo2 08-16-2012 06:59 PM

Hi,

AFAICT it is just a little shell script that uses axel to do parallel downloads of the packaages. How fast it is compared to apt-get et. al. will depend on the specifics of the network and mirror. Try it and decide for yourself.

Evo2.

leosubhadeep 08-17-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo2 (Post 4756144)
Hi,

AFAICT it is just a little shell script that uses axel to do parallel downloads of the packaages. How fast it is compared to apt-get et. al. will depend on the specifics of the network and mirror. Try it and decide for yourself.

Evo2.

Sorry, no use. Any others, please?

knudfl 08-17-2012 11:59 AM

The answer by @evo2 is correct :
1) The tiny script (2 kB) uses axel to download the packages concurrently.
2) and installs the packages with apt-get.

apt-fast.sh http://www.mattparnell.com/linux/apt-fast/apt-fast.sh
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/new-a...full-full.html


.

leosubhadeep 08-17-2012 01:03 PM

Guys I thought this forum was called "Linux- Newbie". Of course the answerers are correct, but if I could get the tech jargons (please read my first post fully), would I waste my time in this forum? :)
However, I think I should use "apt-fast" and see the difference by myself. It's easy to install as per the links provided, but does it have any security issue/bugs? It's not official for Ubuntu after all, as I know!

knudfl 08-17-2012 02:03 PM

https://code.launchpad.net/~apt-fast/+archive/stable

Please open a terminal window, and type :
sudo <your-preferred-editor> /etc/apt/sources.list
( Like : sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list )
.... and then add this line at the bottom of "sources.list" :
Code:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/apt-fast/stable/ubuntu precise main
Next : sudo apt-get update
And : sudo apt-get install apt-fast axel


Note : There can hardly be any bugs in a small text file like "apt-fast".
Please read the script. Is also linked in post #4.

.

leosubhadeep 08-18-2012 01:45 PM

Working great, thanks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by knudfl (Post 4756982)
https://code.launchpad.net/~apt-fast/+archive/stable

Please open a terminal window, and type :
sudo <your-preferred-editor> /etc/apt/sources.list
( Like : sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list )
.... and then add this line at the bottom of "sources.list" :
Code:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/apt-fast/stable/ubuntu precise main
Next : sudo apt-get update
And : sudo apt-get install apt-fast axel
.

Did as instructed by you. It was much like a Windows wizard-like installer (which made my life easier) and allowed me to choose a few things. BTW, I chose 10 "simultaneous connections" (the default was 5), can this be any problem in future?

However, you do deserve kudos, man! apt-fast is a minor upgradation of apt-get, but working great and very fast on my Ubuntu!! :hattip:

evo2 08-18-2012 07:55 PM

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by leosubhadeep (Post 4756857)
Sorry, no use. Any others, please?

Wow, I'll make sure I don't waste my time trying to help you in the future.

*plonk*

Evo2.

leosubhadeep 08-20-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo2 (Post 4757969)
Hi,


Wow, I'll make sure I don't waste my time trying to help you in the future.

*plonk*

Evo2.

I am extremely sorry :) . I should have thanked you, too. Thanks for answering. However, instead of being sarcastic, please be a bit elaborate while helping others in future.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.