I am surprised that there is not such a thing here already if there is, please
let me know where, as search comes up with 600 results.
There are few threads on this server asking specific question about their own setup,
but I would like to get a comprehensive guide/wiki together with the help of this community for people who are not technically / IT
literate to explain in great detail what will be the best action to take when support for Microsoft Windows XP
ends on 8th of April 2014 and what is the cost of upgrading to Microsoft product or migrating to Linux
and serve in easy to understand way to those users.
From my own experience I know that average users will wait till the last moment to solve the migration
as 3 of my family members are still running XP on their old laptops and it has been hard for me to persuade
them to do anything about it as if it works for them, they are reluctant to do anything with it at all
and that is mostly down to luck of time, since they will have to find the time to solve this why not to give them
option to make a informed choice of their next OS ....
I would be great full for post about how you persuade your family members to upgrade to Linux and what problems did you face.
I would like to get together with this community a poster (A4 / A5 size for noticeboards) and for all those who are willing to help
others in their communities/workplace with the migration or point people into the right direction (this forum
My idea of the poster is that:
1. it would have XP logo on it so it catches their attention
2. explain that XP will have no updates after 8th of April 2014 and their OS will not be secure
3. explain if they wanted to purchase upgrade from Microsoft, what would be the cost and the risk of their old hardware not being capable of running they new operating system Windows 8
4. explain that if their hardware is not capable of running Windows 8 or 7, there is a FREE alternative that does not involve purchasing new hardware
5. have QR codes there pointing to either this web or alternative websites that discuss this in greater length.
6. Highlight that upgrading their OS can be FREE if they wish to migrate to linux, but may have to invest purchasing external HDD, if not already got one to back up content of the current drive ....
I would be great full for all comments / observation you may already have with migrating from XP to Linux or Windows 7 /8
as I have only been using Debian as a user for few years on my Laptop and RaspberyPi and have not got the skills / experience to pull this on my own.
My preferred distro is Debian, but if possible at all I thing it would be good not to make this distro specific ....