LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2003, 03:45 AM   #1
Baran
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Tampere-FINLAND
Distribution: Mandrake 10.1
Posts: 105

Rep: Reputation: 15
Another installing problem !


Hi,

I was trying to install "sinek" (GUI for xine) from source. I wrote

./configure

but I had such an error

checking for bison... bison
checking version of bison... v. ?.??, bad
checking for catalogs to be installed... de es fr ru
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.0.0... Package glib-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glib-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'glib-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.0.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
[root@localhost sinek-0.7]#



My system is

Red Hat 9.0
Linux Kernel 2.4.20
GCC 3.2.1
GNU libc 2.3.2

What sould I do !
 
Old 09-09-2003, 06:21 AM   #2
daveo
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Holland
Distribution: Gentoo 1.4, Slackware
Posts: 196

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Another installing problem !

Quote:
Originally posted by Baran
Hi,

I was trying to install "sinek" (GUI for xine) from source. I wrote

./configure

but I had such an error

checking for bison... bison
checking version of bison... v. ?.??, bad
checking for catalogs to be installed... de es fr ru
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.0.0... Package glib-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glib-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'glib-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.0.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
[root@localhost sinek-0.7]#



My system is

Red Hat 9.0
Linux Kernel 2.4.20
GCC 3.2.1
GNU libc 2.3.2

What sould I do !
Actually this means that the required package glib is not found in the search path, where it should actually exists. You should be able to define where it is located by typeing:

dave@twister dave $ whereis glib-2.0.pc
glib-2.0: /usr/lib/glib-2.0 /usr/include/glib-2.0 /usr/share/glib-2.0

As you see above, the path is defined. Now you should read the install notes, to know what --prefix is needed to define the path to glib-2.0 and add it together with the ./configure --prefix=bla.

Good luck!
 
Old 09-10-2003, 05:43 AM   #3
hamish
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Edinburgh
Distribution: Server: Gentoo2004; Desktop: Ubuntu
Posts: 720

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hey,

How does one alter the PKG_CONFIG_PATH path?

I have a similar error:

checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.1.4 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1... Package glib-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glib-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'glib-2.0' found

I understand that I need to alter a file to tell the file to look for Glib in a specific direcory. How do I do this?

thanks
hamish
 
Old 09-10-2003, 06:03 AM   #4
daveo
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Holland
Distribution: Gentoo 1.4, Slackware
Posts: 196

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by hamish
Hey,

How does one alter the PKG_CONFIG_PATH path?

I have a similar error:

checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.1.4 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1... Package glib-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glib-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'glib-2.0' found

I understand that I need to alter a file to tell the file to look for Glib in a specific direcory. How do I do this?

thanks
hamish
The variable might be set by: export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/path/to/app NOTE: this propably is a path defined for more apps. Type "set" without quotes and check what path is set currently ...
 
Old 09-10-2003, 09:14 AM   #5
Baran
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Tampere-FINLAND
Distribution: Mandrake 10.1
Posts: 105

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks daveo,
I tried what you have said and I got these

[root@localhost / ]# whereis glib-2.0.pc
glib-2.0:
[root@localhost / ]# whereis glib
glib: /usr/lib/glib

does this mean that I don't have the file glib-2.0.pc?

my system is

Red Hat 9.0
Linux Kernel 2.4.20
GCC 3.2.1
GNU libc 2.3.2

I should have got that isn't it?

By the way I search "glib*pc" in my disk and it found a file:

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib.pc

I am confused..!

And I read the installation document; if I understood that correctly I should add the path like this...

[root@localhost sinek-0.7]# ./configure --exec-prefix=/usr/lib/pkgconfig

however this didn't work either.

Now what should I do?
 
Old 09-10-2003, 09:34 AM   #6
daveo
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Holland
Distribution: Gentoo 1.4, Slackware
Posts: 196

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Baran
Thanks daveo,
I tried what you have said and I got these

[root@localhost / ]# whereis glib-2.0.pc
glib-2.0:
[root@localhost / ]# whereis glib
glib: /usr/lib/glib

does this mean that I don't have the file glib-2.0.pc?

my system is

Red Hat 9.0
Linux Kernel 2.4.20
GCC 3.2.1
GNU libc 2.3.2

I should have got that isn't it?

By the way I search "glib*pc" in my disk and it found a file:

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib.pc

I am confused..!

And I read the installation document; if I understood that correctly I should add the path like this...

[root@localhost sinek-0.7]# ./configure --exec-prefix=/usr/lib/pkgconfig

however this didn't work either.

Now what should I do?
1. I don't know if this glib is a rpm package but, try to update it. Find a package at CD 1 to the version you have at the moment or even higher (recommend if available)

rpm -u glibc-2.3.2.rpm (just an example)

2. Try this (if it works) "ldconfig" without the quotes, do you have that ? I hope you have, as it's part of de glibc :-) If not exists - update it. glibc-2.3.2 is in CD 1

Hope this helps ...
 
Old 09-11-2003, 03:20 AM   #7
Baran
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Tampere-FINLAND
Distribution: Mandrake 10.1
Posts: 105

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanks I will try that
 
Old 10-15-2003, 06:46 AM   #8
ami
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi.

I experienced the same problem during the configuration of mono.
I installed the glib2-devel-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm
(rpm -U glib2-devel-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm), and it solved the glib-2.0.pc error.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ami; 10-15-2003 at 06:48 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem installing module in Fedora Core 2 (2.6 kernel vs 2.4 problem?) Arodef Linux - Kernel 3 11-30-2007 03:55 PM
Problem installing new programs... KDE problem? seiyachan Mandriva 33 12-19-2005 10:18 AM
problem installing-hardware problem? LivinLarge Linux - General 3 04-28-2005 02:56 PM
Problem Installing afty8 Debian 5 02-10-2005 02:38 AM
Problem Installing Gentoo. (Partioning Problem) w33k Linux - Software 7 08-10-2004 11:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration