I can't answer all of them but here goes:
1) I suppose you edit the config files for your server (if there's no gui for it)
3) Mozilla Firefox
or if you need a more complete solution (Browser, Email and more in one) Mozilla Suite
. There are more.
4) Sure, there's one build into the kernel called iptables. You need an app to configure it. There are lot's like Shorewall or Firestarter, just do a search on these forums.
5) No, idea. My advice: google.com
6) Eh, I didn't have to do much to achieve that. Actually I didn't do ****.
7) Compile your own kernel, hell compile everything youself. Don't load anything you don't need.
8) In windows, all folders look as much the same as they do in Linux to me. But in KDE and Gnome you can choose different icons I guess.
9) Yeah, I'd like someone else to answer this one.
10) Eh, you need to be more specific. Mandrake istalled almost every piece of hardware I have.
11) Don't know. Mandrake (yeah, I'm a fan
) has a graphical one.
12) Download and install newest drivers, that support hardware acceleration, for you video card. Find a super cool game that run's natively one Linux and go.
13) Eh games that will run native work excellent. Games that don't run natively most likely will not run on Linux at all. Wine(X) just doesn't work, yet (just for a few lucky people).
14) Don't know.
15) Don't know.
16) Well that depends on what you want. In my opnion (whitch is ofcourse honest), KDE kicks ass. You could also try Gnome. If you like a very lightweight no bullshit DE, try FluxBox. Again, there are more.
17) Eh, what?
18) Depending on the distro, there could be an app that will update your Linux.
19) Most drivers come with your distro. For more specific drivers look on the specific sites (for a Nvidia card look on nvidia.com)
. There are more
, google.com's the word.
21) I've seen advertisements for Linux, I think. Anyway, I don't care.
22) Doom 3 en UT2004 run natively on Linux. There are more.
23) Eh dude, they have a website.
24) Because Linux is Linux, Linux is definetly not Wndows. Plus, Wine is broke (I guess that's an opinion).
25) You don't. Why else would they make Wine.
26) Nobody that is in that position. I would
27) Eh, I bet there are.
28) A lot. Better hardware and game support, from the developers themself, would be my vote. But at this point, Windows can do almost as much as Linux for me
Wait, no, that's a lie. Not even close.
29) Eh I guess you mean distro. Red Hat is most popular, but Mandrake is the best distro for beginners. Slackware is the elite, from what I understand.
30) Probably. Sorry, can't be more helpful with this. Maybe if you could be a bit more specific.
31) Eh, search around. They're out here. But I find it's easier to surf around these forums.
32) The obvious: security, freedom and cost. And also, it just is.
33) Try Mandrake
, easy as pie.
34) Ah damn, how can I say this without attracting flames. I guess because people don't know it exists. If you're a n00b and you by a pc from Dell or whatever, Windows comes preinstalled with it. It works, kinda, why try anything else? I think most people don't know that Linux really is.