LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
guntaro
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Riga
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
After Ubuntu 12.04 installation my lap do not starting automatically


So, now it starting by displaying a window offering to select the startup program. In addition, it appears valid for the previous version of Ubuntu. And it happens every time. What can I do?
 
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
EODSteven
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Location: Manchester, Tn
Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012. Ubuntu Server 14.04
Posts: 185

Rep: Reputation: 3
Are you saying that your on a dual-boot machine and that it's asking you to select operating system? Where is it asking and what is it asking...Need more information!
 
Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
guntaro
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Riga
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODSteven View Post
Are you saying that your on a dual-boot machine and that it's asking you to select operating system? Where is it asking and what is it asking...Need more information!
No, it is not dual. I have had previous Ubuntu 10.04 and I instaled new version. After instalation machine shows black screen with frame GNU GRUB 1.99.-21 ubuntu 3.4 and offers starting modes:
ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-31-generic - with this it starting autmotically, but very soon "hang on" and screen stay black - nothing hapen...
ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-31-generic (recovery mode)
Previous Linux version - "clik" on this then next screen offers Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-43 - generic: so in this case it working good, but I should going in the same process every time when starting mashine.
 
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
guntaro
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Riga
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by guntaro View Post
No, it is not dual. I have had previous Ubuntu 10.04 and I instaled new version. After instalation machine shows black screen with frame GNU GRUB 1.99.-21 ubuntu 3.4 and offers starting modes:
ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-31-generic - with this it starting autmotically, but very soon "hang on" and screen stay black - nothing hapen...
ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-31-generic (recovery mode)
Previous Linux version - "clik" on this then next screen offers Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-43 - generic: so in this case it working good, but I should going in the same process every time when starting mashine.
So, it look like I have two accounts. Because one of them is signed as Ubuntu 12.04, but another one not - it is something "between"
This is probably the reason why the computer can not boot automatically...?
 
Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by guntaro View Post
No, it is not dual. I have had previous Ubuntu 10.04 and I instaled new version. After instalation machine shows black screen with frame GNU GRUB 1.99.-21 ubuntu 3.4 and offers starting modes:
ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-31-generic - with this it starting autmotically, but very soon "hang on" and screen stay black - nothing hapen...
ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-31-generic (recovery mode)
Previous Linux version - "clik" on this then next screen offers Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-43 - generic: so in this case it working good, but I should going in the same process every time when starting mashine.
Have you tried recovery mode? There are other options after recovery mode but you do need to select it first.
 
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #6
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Linux 2.6.32-43 is the old kernel for 10.04; you actually don't want to use it.

Having said that, when the Grub menu shows, you can press 'e' to edit the boot options. In the new screen, find the line that contains quiet splash and replace quiet splash by text; you can use the cursor keys to navigate. Next press <ctrl>x to boot with those settings.

You should get to a console where you can login (note that while typing the password, you will not see anything, just type and press <enter>). Do you get to a console?

To shutdown your system from there, run
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now
To reboot your system from there, run
Code:
sudo shutdown -r now
Again, while typing your password, you will not see anything, just type and press <enter>

Can you please provide make and model of the videocard and the monitor. If you have a nVidia card, you can try to add nomodeset to the line with quiet splash so it reads quiet splash nomodeset.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #7
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Oh, and this might be of interest; a lot of reading

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
guntaro
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Riga
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
Linux 2.6.32-43 is the old kernel for 10.04; you actually don't want to use it.

Having said that, when the Grub menu shows, you can press 'e' to edit the boot options. In the new screen, find the line that contains quiet splash and replace quiet splash by text; you can use the cursor keys to navigate. Next press <ctrl>x to boot with those settings.

You should get to a console where you can login (note that while typing the password, you will not see anything, just type and press <enter>). Do you get to a console?

To shutdown your system from there, run
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now
To reboot your system from there, run
Code:
sudo shutdown -r now
Again, while typing your password, you will not see anything, just type and press <enter>

Can you please provide make and model of the videocard and the monitor. If you have a nVidia card, you can try to add nomodeset to the line with quiet splash so it reads quiet splash nomodeset.
Thank`s!
So, in the Grub menu I did press 'e' in the new screen I found line what contains: quiet splash, but in this way:
linux /boot/vmlinuz -3.2.0 -32 -geberic root =VVID= b2f0b553 -feb9 -4b42-bf6d-23781d7d7c62 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff. Well, I erase quiet splach and tape text; then I press ctrl x, but engine do not boot. I just get black screen... I even type password and press Enter, but nothing happen... What now?
 
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
guntaro
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Riga
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
Linux 2.6.32-43 is the old kernel for 10.04; you actually don't want to use it.

Having said that, when the Grub menu shows, you can press 'e' to edit the boot options. In the new screen, find the line that contains quiet splash and replace quiet splash by text; you can use the cursor keys to navigate. Next press <ctrl>x to boot with those settings.

You should get to a console where you can login (note that while typing the password, you will not see anything, just type and press <enter>). Do you get to a console?

To shutdown your system from there, run
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now
To reboot your system from there, run
Code:
sudo shutdown -r now
Again, while typing your password, you will not see anything, just type and press <enter>

Can you please provide make and model of the videocard and the monitor. If you have a nVidia card, you can try to add nomodeset to the line with quiet splash so it reads quiet splash nomodeset.
Wow! Yes, it works with <nomodeset> but in recovery mode- large icons etc
 
Old 10-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
guntaro
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Riga
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by guntaro View Post
Wow! Yes, it works with <nomodeset> but in recovery mode- large icons etc
Something more, I discover that in "normal" mode laptop boot, but screen is without back light - there in the "darknes" are all icons and by using pocket light I can operate. Oh, my... Is it possible reinstal previous Ubuntu?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ubuntu 12.04 Fails to boot automatically after installation from Live CD SaileshMohanty Linux - Distributions 2 06-15-2012 09:06 PM
ubuntu on lap top locking up unix1adm Linux - Software 6 02-18-2009 04:47 PM
... my lap won't boot!!? Clean Install of Ubuntu ithinkthereforeiam Linux - Laptop and Netbook 5 04-16-2008 08:50 AM
chrooting into exiting ubuntu installation xserver not starting linuxmandrake Ubuntu 1 01-04-2006 07:11 AM
starting windows installation from ubuntu abtimoteo Ubuntu 2 06-23-2005 03:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration