It's been more than a week, don't know if you managed to solve the psoblem?
If not, here's another suggestion:
Try changing the monitors refreshrate - not too easy nowadays, in earlier days you just edited the existing xorg.conf. Nowadays Linux doesn't usually have xorg.conf, relies entirely on autodetection which 95% of the time autodetects everything perfectly, and the other 5% it's a pain to configure.
I can only give a few hints then you'll probably have to google a lot.
Make sure you have lots of time when you start configuring X, a faulty config might make it impossible to start X.
What I think you need is something like this:
It's the HorizSync & VertRefresh I believe you need to change. Tricky thing is you have to write a lot more into your own xorg.conf to get it to work...
Something you could try is xrandr, found this: http://www.linuxtutorialblog.com/pos...on-with-xrandr
Originally Posted by jededale
I am not using a graphics card so I doubt that its a driver issue
This doesn't make sense, without a graphics card you can't connect a monitor.. It could be builtin of course, it's still just like a card which needs a driver.
There is a small chance changing driver might work, which are you using now?
You can check your graphics hardware with
# lspci |grep VGA
Also take a look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
... and finally, please remember I'm pretty much guessing here! I can't guarantee any of the above will actually help - I have had your problem myself about a year ago, but I just can't remember how I fixed it.