adsl-status can't read pppoe PID file with rp-pppoe program setup
Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
SBC Yahoo adsl-status can't read pppoe PID file with rp-pppoe program setup
Hi this is my first post, and actually, I am proud of myself to have made it this far without asking a question. I just installed Mandrake 10.0 (I think 10.0, I'm not exactly sure how to check, that is how the ISO files were labeled) a couple of days ago and have been trying to connect and configure my SBC Yahoo DSL connection. I have an external DSL modem, no router, and it has worked great for me with my Windows XP Home setup. I have two ethernet cards installed, one came with the comp, a Dell Dimension 4550, and is hardwired to the mother board, the other is a PCI card that came with the modem. the PCI card is the one the modem is plugged into and is (pretty sure about this) the card designated eth0. I downloaded from Roaring Penguin a file called rp-pppoe-3.5-1.src.rpm and followed the instructions on their web site (with some difficulty) and used the rpm --rebuild command to generate a binary. Eventually I got the program installed and ran the setup program, and everything went smoothly and told me everything was working properly. Here is what the terminal says after the setup program is complete:
Congratulations, it should be all set up!
Type "adsl-start' to bring up your ADSL link and 'adsl-stop' to bring it down.Type 'adsl-status' to see the link status.
so I do this:
[root@localhost rp-pppoe-3.5]# adsl-start [root@localhost rp-pppoe-3.5]# adsl-status Note: You have enabled demand-connection; adsl-status may be inaccurate. adsl-status: Link is down (can't read pppoe PID file .pppoe)
Now, when I configured the setup, the program asked me if I wanted to set up the connection for Activate-upon-demand and I selected 'no' which was the default and advised (by the program) selection.
I still cannot connect to any web addresses with my two browsers, Mozilla or Konqueror. I am using the KDE desktop environment.
Thanks for looking!
I'm still having fun, even if I can't get the damn thing to work! These forums have been an excellent resource for me in my flounderings!
I have an sbc yahoo dsl connection too and i was able to get it working using something called pppoeconf, I found it in the internet menu under kde labeled as 'adsl/pppoe configuration.' I just used all the default settings and put in my username email@example.com and password. I think rp-pppoe was mainly intended for older kernels (pre 2.4) before they included pppoe support. Sorry this post is so much later than your question.