Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
When I try to change which applications are installed on my new FC4 (personal workstation version, updated) for instance when I try to remove the "DNS Name Server" --- I get the following err msg:
The following packages could not be found on your system. Installation cannot continue until they are installed.
Is there any way to fix this issue so I can change/add applications? Unfortunately, I don't have good install media but I do have a very fast internet connection. Is there a way to download the ISO files directly onto the same system and disc that is running this FC4 and reinstall the whole works without having to burn CDs first?
Yeah, there is. Download the ISO - probably the DVD ISO is the best as then you've got everything (http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/fedor...4-i386-DVD.iso). Once you've downloaded that, you can mount the ISO image so that it appears as part of the filesystem. Probably the best idea is to mount it in the same directory as your DVD drive gets mounted in (probably /mnt/cdrom or similar) so that the Add/Remove Apps program thinks it's a conventional dvd.
The code you need to mount it is:
mount -o loop -t iso9660 FC4-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/cdrom
Of course, you'll need to make sure there's nothing mounted in the /mnt/cdrom directory first (i.e. take the cd out!)
Well, I've been trying for the last 3 hours to dnload the all-in-one DVD file, the 2GB one, and it evidently can't be done with normal FTP. Seven times, it got to around 600 - 700 MB and crapped out with a 426 err msg ("err writing to network"), and this last time it got to 1880MB and crapped out with some bizarre "Not a directory" err msg, grrrr. This wouldn't be so bad if FTP could do resuming but it can't. I'll start looking for an app that can do resuming dnloads, but I probably won't be able to install it because the installer doesn't work (that's why I'm doing all of this to start with).
I found and installed a dnload resuming utility - Prozilla, that looked good. After spending an hour and a half dnload the 2GB file I need, it says, "File size limit exceeded". Gee, why couldn't it have said that in the beginning? Can anyone recommend a file dnloading utility that supports large (2.3GB) files?
OK, I've FINALLY gotten the 2.7GB FC4-i386-DVD.iso file dnoladed and successfully checksummed with the secure hash algorithm.
I notice that whereas I do have a "/dev" folder with "/cdrom" and "/cdwriter" link files (but no "/dev/cdrom" folder) --- should I create a "/dev/cdrom/" folder and put the iso file in it, and if so what about the cdrom drive link files in the "/dev" folder? Doesn't that mean the system has been configured to expect this kind of stuff to be in the "/dev" folder and not in a "/dev/cdrom" folder?
I've only been running linux for 2 days and I'm still a little lost when it comes to this mount concept.
OK, I made a "dev/cdrom" folder and the mount command seems to have worked at least to the point that I can browse the contents of the iso as if it were a file system. I've located an autorun file :
dir=$(echo $0 |sed 's/autorun//')
exec /usr/bin/system-cdinstall-helper $tree
and it SEEMS like what it does is read the name of the folder (that autorun is located in) into a variable, "change directry" into it, and then execute "/system-cdinstall-helper" passing the name of the now-current folder (containing autorun) as an argument.
OK, here goes, if it fries my installation I can always reconnect my backup XP drive and use IE5 to come back and ask for more help --- hope this works!
Cdhgee --- it LOOKED like it was going to work --- an instance of the "Add/Remove Applications" ran and I deselected "DNS Server" and it went through a couple of progress bars but then just ended with no err msg, but when I went and looked, the DNS server is still listed as being there in the "Add/Remove Applications" property pages.
I'm getting close, though. This time I'll wait a while in the hopes of getting more help from cdgee or anyone who knows what to do.