LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2006, 01:55 AM   #1
erosszz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Ibaraki-ken, Japan
Distribution: Red Hat 8.0
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0
Access Denied When Remote Connection Using Putty


I try to connect my client to server using putty. I know the root and password of the server but always "Access Denied".

These are the platforms:
Client: Windows XP SP2, Putty v0.58
Server: Red Hat 8.0, mail was already setup by other people.
Additional Info:
They created the user by this way "adduser -g users /bin/false username"
I know that "/bin/false" was set to not allowing the user to connect remotely. I dont know on how to check if the user was /bin/false or /bin/true.

I am new to Linux.. Please help me on this matter.


-eros

Last edited by erosszz; 09-22-2006 at 02:00 AM.
 
Old 09-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
I suppose you try to connect to a telnet server.

For security reasons remote root access is often blocked. Login as normal user and su to root.

And if you connect over the internet (the big bad world), don't even consider using root. Anybody can snoop your password and get access to your box. Use SSH in that case.
 
Old 10-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
erosszz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Ibaraki-ken, Japan
Distribution: Red Hat 8.0
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Wim,

Still i cannot connect. I am very new in Red Hat 8 using sendmail and i want to remote access in my workstation (XP SP2) using putty.. any configuration needed to remotely access my Linux?


-eros
 
Old 10-03-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Sorry, I missed in your first post the /bin/false. This implies that you don't have a shell and for that reason can not login, not even when sitting in front of the box.

Please ask 'they' to give you remote access. I fthis is over the internet, ask for ssh.
 
Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
erosszz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Ibaraki-ken, Japan
Distribution: Red Hat 8.0
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I badly needed your help... spams experts

Sorry for delay response.

The reason why I need to use putty because I want to configure my Linux in my workstation then stop the spams. I recieve everyday around 15 to 20 spam emails.

Please help me again step by step because I dont have any idea on this matter. Thank you very much


-eros
Japan


This is the sample full header of the spam email.

mail.sgp.com.ph is my previous domain.
modu.com.ph is my present domain.


Return-Path: <puk@lange-int.ch>
Received: from cpe-72-130-171-75.san.res.rr.com (cpe-72-130-171-75.san.res.rr.com [72.130.171.75])
by mail.sgp.com.ph (8.12.8/8.12.8) with SMTP id k9HLLZN5025022
for <every@modu.com.ph>; Wed, 18 Oct 2006 05:21:39 +0800
Received: (qmail 17472 invoked from network); Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:21:49 -0700
Received: from unknown (HELO 72.130.91.218) (72.130.91.218)
by cpe-72-130-171-75.san.res.rr.com with SMTP; Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:21:49 -0700
Message-ID: <453548FF.7000909@lange-int.ch>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:19:59 -0700
From: Nance Marshall <puk@lange-int.ch>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.0.2 (Windows/20050317)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: every@modu.com.ph
Subject: decimate
Content-Type: multipart/related;
boundary="------------040605040106090509040904"
PGS-X-MailScanner: Found to be clean
Status:
 
Old 10-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
erosszz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Ibaraki-ken, Japan
Distribution: Red Hat 8.0
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I have rights with my Linux all the way. Please teach me to reverse that /bin/false.

Thanks.

-eros
Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom
Sorry, I missed in your first post the /bin/false. This implies that you don't have a shell and for that reason can not login, not even when sitting in front of the box.

Please ask 'they' to give you remote access. I fthis is over the internet, ask for ssh.
 
Old 10-18-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Use usermod -s /bin/bash loginname. You can replace bash by the shell that you want. See 'man usermod'.

This can only be done when you have access to the machine (remote or local). Further you need to be root to run the command as far as I know.

Again, if this is over the internet, use ssh to login as normal user, so your passwords can not be snooped. Next su to root.
 
Old 10-18-2006, 12:19 AM   #8
erosszz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Ibaraki-ken, Japan
Distribution: Red Hat 8.0
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I use putty in my client pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom
Use usermod -s /bin/bash loginname. You can replace bash by the shell that you want. See 'man usermod'.

This can only be done when you have access to the machine (remote or local). Further you need to be root to run the command as far as I know.

Again, if this is over the internet, use ssh to login as normal user, so your passwords can not be snooped. Next su to root.
 
Old 10-18-2006, 02:51 AM   #9
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
- root access is denied over remote connections, so you can't login remotely
- you don't have a login shell as a normal user, so you can't login

Conclusion:
You need physical access to the machine, login as root and do the work. putty will not help you.

The problem that you have (with regards to this thread) is that you don't have access to the machine so you can't tell us how it's configured. It might be that 'they' (whoever that might be) configured the box for ssh instead of telnet. So 'they' are basically the only ones that can help you.

You can give it a go by setting up putty to use ssh and try to login as root. Under session you have to select SSH; this might be sufficient but there might be a few other settings that need to be configured (I'm not sure).
 
Old 10-18-2006, 03:04 AM   #10
erosszz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Ibaraki-ken, Japan
Distribution: Red Hat 8.0
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I have rights with my box all the way, means I owned the box. I can command and execute everything but I dont know what I need to do. Please help me on this.

My main target is to stop the spams that every moment they spams me 10 to 20 emails. I've heared spamassassin but I have worry about the after install support if it arise a problem and wrong configuration.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom
- root access is denied over remote connections, so you can't login remotely
- you don't have a login shell as a normal user, so you can't login

Conclusion:
You need physical access to the machine, login as root and do the work. putty will not help you.

The problem that you have (with regards to this thread) is that you don't have access to the machine so you can't tell us how it's configured. It might be that 'they' (whoever that might be) configured the box for ssh instead of telnet. So 'they' are basically the only ones that can help you.

You can give it a go by setting up putty to use ssh and try to login as root. Under session you have to select SSH; this might be sufficient but there might be a few other settings that need to be configured (I'm not sure).
 
Old 10-18-2006, 04:06 AM   #11
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
I'm not talking about rights. You need the access first. Go to the box, login as root and run the usermod command described before. Next you can remotely access the box using putty.
As stated a couple of times, if you access it over the internet, use ssh (putty supports it).

The spam is another story, that I'm not familiar with, so I can't help you there.
 
Old 10-18-2006, 04:28 AM   #12
erosszz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Ibaraki-ken, Japan
Distribution: Red Hat 8.0
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks a lot... I can remotely access my box using Putty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom
I'm not talking about rights. You need the access first. Go to the box, login as root and run the usermod command described before. Next you can remotely access the box using putty.
As stated a couple of times, if you access it over the internet, use ssh (putty supports it).

The spam is another story, that I'm not familiar with, so I can't help you there.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems with remote connection bet. Linux and Win using SSH and Putty cucolin@ Ubuntu 4 10-02-2006 11:53 PM
Will script continue to run even after closing putty for remote access anjanesh Linux - Newbie 11 08-07-2006 04:05 AM
masqueraded and got internet connection, no remote access to gateway! imagineers7 Linux - Networking 2 07-07-2006 12:28 AM
Samba + WindowsXP: Access Denied even after successful connection... emalbum Linux - Networking 4 07-05-2004 08:06 PM
Samba Printer Share on Win2K Access Denied, No Connection available MobbyDick Linux - Software 38 07-17-2003 11:12 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration