We are having a setup of windows workgroup and trying to install our first linux box on VMWare in the network
. I have installed OpenSuse 11.1 and have setup the connection also. My problem is that I am able to connect to ping to other machines in the network and also other machines are able to ping me back but I am unable to ping DNS servers.
Here are some of the network settings I am using..
1. Internet is shared using windows internet connection sharing.
2. Direct internet connection is on a windows machine having 2 lan cards, one is set to the static IP address and other one is having ip as 10.202.251.45.
3. VMWare networking is set to Bridged networking.
4. On my OpenSUSE box IP address is : 10.202.251.120, have set default gateway as 10.202.251.45, and DNS server ips as set in other windows machines DNS1 : 184.108.40.206 and DNS2 : 220.127.116.11
5. Here are the other details which I feel are neccessary for resolving the problem (as understood by reading other similar posts)
---OUTPUT FROM ifConfig----------
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:8E:17:2D
inet addr:10.202.251.120 Bcast:10.202.251.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1337 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:408840 (399.2 Kb) TX bytes:3743 (3.6 Kb)
Interrupt:19 Base address:0x2024
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:200 (200.0 b) TX bytes:200 (200.0 b)
### /etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!
# Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
# static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
# /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
# or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
# See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
# Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but
# may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines
# only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this
# file and in case of a "netconfig update -f" call.
### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!
NAME='79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]'
6. I am running GNome GUI and have disabled the firewall also (till this problem is resolved).
7. Have changed the /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-etho parameter NETWORK after reading another post on forum, but no luck
Please help me out here.