This is my first post, so first of all, HI everybody
This is a complete
's post so be patient please ...
I have been for many years on Windows, and I think it's now time to change.
I thought about Linux, and more specifically about Mandrake and I have many questions about it. I tried to find a FAQ or something like it to avoid flooding this kind of boards with my stupidities ...
My questions :
1) Is it really free ? freely legally downloadable ?
2) What (software) can you run on it (in other words, is it limited in software compared to Windows and if yes, how) ?
3) Can I keep Windows ?
4) I have an ADSL USB modem, will it work ?
5) I have made a small local network with my 2 home computers to be able to share the Internet connection. Will it still be possible even if one computer uses Windows XP and the other (actually the main one) uses Mandrake ? What about the file sharing in this same network : still possible ?
6) As I want to keep Windows, and assuming it is possible, I want to re-organize my hard drive partitions. I currently have 2 HD of 80 GB each in file system NTFS. How much space do I need to install comfortably Mandrake and which file system should I use (the Partition Magic Wizard says something about EXT2 or EXT3)
7) Before I install Mandrake, do I have to make some changes in the configuration or in the BIOS and do I need to know stuff about IRQs ... ?
8) Will I be able to read/encode videos (more specifically divX)
9) Will I be able to access my files on other partitions (NTFS) on which Windows is installed.
10) What's the exact relation between Unix and Linux, is it the same, does it have the same basis like other OSs like FreeBsd or NetBSD .. ?
11) This last question is even more stupid than the ten first, what do you think about my choices :
- of leaving Windows
- of choosing Mandrake as a new OS
and is there something you might want to tell me about Mandrake or anything of Linux world that I might be interested to know and that is not necessarily on every site about it ... ?
Thank you for at least reading me ...
Thank you for any answers you might post, anything is helpful ...
That's it I think .... have a good day ... a please don't be too mean to me, don't forget I am a