hey everyone i was wondering if someone could help me with a few problems im having:
1. how do u see which rpm's u currently have installed?
2. i tried changing my resolution through the display applet, but it never goes above 640X480 even after i restart X or restart the computer. is there anyway to change my resolution (9800 Pro)
3. whenever i try installing the ati drivers, i restart, X starts, but then i can't get to the gui. a screen opens with a yes or no and no text. if i select no, it goes staright to cli. if i pick yes, it loads the vesa driver, then i can load the gui. can the ati drivers be installed?
4. whenever the system boots and X starts up, the screen as all distorted. but then it's ok. is
there anyway to fix this prob? (i think its a driver prob, but not really sure.)
5. when im logged in (not as root) i cant access files i created as root, which is good. but when i type su, and type in the root password, i still cant access the folder (i get permission denied error.). i can view the folders from the terminal tho, but if i try to execute the file i get a permission denied error again. basically i wanna know whats the easily way to login as root, but not have to logout, enter the username and pw, then log back in as a regular user?
6. when im installing rpm's i always have dependency issues. i know the debian package manager has the apt-get command to help with this, but is there something similar in redhat 9 to make installing software less tedious?
7. I bookmarked www.rpmfind.net
but would like to know if theres any other rpm search engines i should be aware of?
Thanks for any help!
also id like some good links to sites about networking windows and linux