Ok, basic outline, I am on Redhat 9.0 in Gnome
1) How can I change the resolution? I go system settings > display, up the res to 1024 x 768 from the 800 x 600 I am on, say ok and it comes up with a dialogue box that says "Display settings changed, You need to log out and restart the X server for the changes to take effect", ok I think so I log out, then restart and when I come back its back to 800 x 600 still, any ideas? I have tried when I say log out both checking and unchecking the 'save current settings' as well as directly rebooting instead of logging out and doing it from the log on screen.
2) I am using GRUB as a loader with duel boot with Windows XP. When I started I had two options, linux kernal xxxxxx - 8 and windows. When I did auto update I got the new kernal so now I have three options, xxxxxxx - 8, xxxxxxxx - 9 (latest one) and windows. How can I remove the obsolete -8 kernal.
3) What would be the best way to install the latest KDE on my system. I unchecked the option from previous experiance when I found out I would have to uninstall all the RPM's on the system currently and then install the new ones, sounded like a mighty pain so I figured I would start without KDE and install it fresh. I looked on the KDE.org website however and their are no RPM's under redhat 9.0, is it released yet?
4) How do I extract TAR files, well a better question would be whats the most appropriate program for doing the task. I want to grab nedit but it only comes in the .tar format so I was wondering how to do it.
5) Any outlines of basic task commands would be greatly appreciated, for example how to install something and uninstall something. I am looking to uninstall mozilla and upgrade to the latest one etc. I am not familier with how RMP's work, any help is appreciated.
I understand that this is a lot of info for you guys to give so any help on any section would be greatly appreciated, I promise I will stop being a newbie soon (hopefully
). Thanks again in advance.