LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
kchant
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: ubuntu 9.10
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
404 not found on Ubuntu


I got fed up with Vista and put Ubuntu 9.10 onto my computer everything is working fine. I have learn a few things about how to run it sense then, but sometimes when I want to go to a website it would read:

404 on found

even though it is a website I was able to go onto before when I used the live CD version of Ubuntu. Also sometime it will redirect me to a different website example: I want to go to facebook and it direct me to some tech or business site. I need help trying to straightening this problem out.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Mr-Bisquit
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Distribution: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: 68
ok
What browser are you using?
How are you typing the website into the address bar?
Does your nameserver setting have a third entry for basic search?
 
Old 11-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
imagine_me2
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Kolkata, India
Distribution: Fedora 11
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: 22
I think this is a problem with name-server configuration.
Your name-servers should be configured automatically.

try:
$nslookup www.google.com

see if any name-servers pop up.
If not contact your provider for name-server ips, so that you can configure them manually.

Or make sure that you have selected automatic configuration of name servers.
I have not used Ubuntu, so I am not sure of network configuration utility available to you.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
kchant
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: ubuntu 9.10
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Bisquit View Post
ok
What browser are you using?
How are you typing the website into the address bar?
Does your nameserver setting have a third entry for basic search?
I am using foxfire and I usually use google or bookmarks to look at different websites. I'm not sure if my name server setting has third party entry.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
kchant
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: ubuntu 9.10
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine_me2 View Post
I think this is a problem with name-server configuration.
Your name-servers should be configured automatically.

try:
$nslookup www.google.com

see if any name-servers pop up.
If not contact your provider for name-server ips, so that you can configure them manually.

Or make sure that you have selected automatic configuration of name servers.
I have not used Ubuntu, so I am not sure of network configuration utility available to you.
A name server has popped up, but sometimes when searching the web and going to a site it gives me the Error and sometimes it doesn't.

I tried Nslookup on "www.syfy.com/ghosthunters/" and it couldn't find it.
Then I tried going on the site again and it found it. Weird.

Is seem that some sites will work and some won't

Last edited by kchant; 11-05-2009 at 09:08 PM.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
jmc1987
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Distribution: Debian, CentOS, windows 7
Posts: 874

Rep: Reputation: 113Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchant View Post
A name server has popped up, but sometimes when searching the web and going to a site it gives me the Error and sometimes it doesn't.

I tried Nslookup on "www.syfy.com/ghosthunters/" and it couldn't find it.
Then I tried going on the site again and it found it. Weird.

Is seem that some sites will work and some won't

your name servers should be in /etc/resolv.conf just type in the name server and thats it.

Should look simular to this
Quote:
[root@centoss ~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search homeserver.cvm
nameserver x.x.x.x
nameserver x.x.x.x
where the x are it should be a dns aka name server there.
 
Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
imagine_me2
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Kolkata, India
Distribution: Fedora 11
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: 22
try nslookup on www.syfy.com only because thats the name of the server.
You will probably find the dns used to resolve the address. Check if any of your friends use the same dns as you are, try using dns they are using.
Also make sure that if you supposed to use a proxy server, then you will have to make necessary changes in proxy server settings
 
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
kchant
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: ubuntu 9.10
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Well I set nslookup into my proxy settings under preferences in Firefox I'll see how that works.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
kchant
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: ubuntu 9.10
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchant View Post
Well I set nslookup into my proxy settings under preferences in Firefox I'll see how that works.
Well I gave up on Ubuntu 9.10 and down graded to 8.04. I was having too many problems with it. I'll see how it works.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
404 not found? jabos Mandriva 6 06-21-2007 12:48 PM
Apache error: 404 Not Found, why? cucolin@ Ubuntu 3 08-14-2006 12:01 PM
apt-get 404 Not Found error Steve Riley Ubuntu 3 06-21-2006 07:31 PM
Possible Apache exploit / 404 NOT FOUND rioguia Linux - Security 5 01-03-2006 04:07 PM
404 page not found Darthomir General 2 03-30-2004 10:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration