I am having a problem with getting tightvnc to run on startup.
WHAT I HAVE DONE:
1. /etc/inetd.conf: Added the following lines:
vnc stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/bin/Xvnc :1 -inetd -query localhost -once -securitytypes=none
vnca stream tcp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/bin/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once -passwordFile=/root/.vnc/passwd
2. /etc/services: Added the following lines:
vnc 5950/tcp #VNC Server Connection
vnca 5951/tcp #VNC Server Connection
3. xstartup file: modified to read "startkde &"
4. vncpasswd file run; password set
THE RESULT WHEN TRYING TO VIEW FROM ANOTHER PC ON THE NETWORK:
1. Running Ultr@VNC viewer, accessing 192.168.0.102:50: "Connection failed - Error reading Protocol Version."
2. Running Ultr@VNC viewer, accessing 192.168.0.102:51: Freezes
3. Running TightVNC viewer, accessing 192.168.0.102:50: Box pops up and then disappears rapidly; no other status notification shown
4. Running TightVNC viewer, accessing 192.168.0.102:51: Box pops up. "Status: Connection Established." But nothing else shows up--no password prompt, no screen, no nothing.
Everything runs fine when I start manually, go into the terminal, and type "vncserver."
Any ideas what's going on? How do I fix?