Thanks for the reply but I found the problem.
The first step was to point a browser to my Linksys DSL Router (http://192.168.1.1
) From there I was able to find the the IP address of the DNS servers. There were 2 of them, a primary and a secondary.
Next I edited the file /etc/resolv.conf by deleting the one line in there and added the following three lines:
nameserver <IP address primary>
nameserver <IP address secondary>
This worked fine as long as I was using DHCP but when I went to change it to a static IP address (I want to install Oracle 10g on this box so I need an static addtress) it quit working. When I switched back to DHCP the internet worked!
To fix this problem I did the following: YAST -> Network Devices -> Network Card -> Already Configured Devices: select change -> Edit -> Routing -> Default Gateway. Here I entered the IP address of my Linksys DSL/Router 192.168.1.1 (all Linksys DSL/Routers have the same IP address by default and there is really no reason to change it)
Presto! I was up and running with a static IP address!