Sorry guys, I have a trouble that makes me crazy.
I've installed and configured an intranet POP3 and SMTP server on a Linux Mandrake 9.2 Box with Postfix and IMAP.
hosname -f #returns 'pippo.net'
linuxbox user number1
is aliased to onemail
linuxbox user number2
is aliased to twomail
Clients are windows boxes with outlook
POP3 is working (at least, there are no errors while checking mail from clients)
SMTP it is not working properly (or something with names resolution ?)
Anyway the situation is:
when a client tries to send mail to the server, the mail sending fails with the error in subject: 0x800ccc0f
if from clients you telnet port 25 of the mail server: connection is instantaneous.
Next, if you try to manually send an email...
HELO myhost #is accepted
MAIL FROM: firstname.lastname@example.org #is accepted
RCPT TO: email@example.com #makes the connection to be lost and then TELNET quits
Because I was getting crazy (POP3 and SMTP installation it is something that I have already done before [cheers] ), I've removed that hdd and I've performed the installation of a mandrake 10.0 (on another disk, same pc)and I've setup and configured everything in the same identical way as the 9.2... u can guess it ... it does work.
I'm 99.9% sure everything is matching in the two configurations, but I need to understand what could be wrong/missing: 1th to fix it, 2nd to learn something (this because I don't want to "throw the spon" and take the easy solution to keep this second and working installation..)