LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
paulomonteiro
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Samba cannot find local network in kubuntu


I have a server with kubuntu installed and it is being accessed by several windows pc's. Samba is intalled and everything was working perfectly until I moved all the computers to another room. Previously linux server was sharing internet, but now all of them are connected directly. However there were no changes made to the network but now I cannot see the server from any of the windows computers and smb reports an error that it cannot find the network, and that it's probably due to the firewall.
I don't think there's even a firewall installed (the kubuntu installation was not mine, and I've just started to work with it).

how can I check if there's a firewall? and how can I disable it ?
Where do I open port 445 (I've read it in several threads...)

tks 4 yr help
 
Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
jrmann1999
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2001
Location: Texas
Distribution: Slackware, Mandrake, LFS
Posts: 306

Rep: Reputation: 30
Let's break this down:

Quote:
I have a server with kubuntu installed and it is being accessed by several windows pc's. Samba is intalled and everything was working perfectly until I moved all the computers to another room.
Kneejerk response, are they all connected via the same switch/hub? If not, are there multiple switch/hubs involved that can all see each other?

Quote:
Previously linux server was sharing internet, but now all of them are connected directly.
What were the IP addresses of your network before, and after the move? Assuming the machines only had 1 NIC each before, did you add a second NIC to connect to your internal network? Their default gateways are probably pointing to their ISP now, did you add routing for your internal network too?

Quote:
However there were no changes made to the network but now I cannot see the server from any of the windows computers and smb reports an error that it cannot find the network, and that it's probably due to the firewall.
Can the PCs ping the samba server? If not, have you run any packet tracing to see where packets are going(ethereal/wireshark, traceroute, etc..)?

Quote:
I don't think there's even a firewall installed (the kubuntu installation was not mine, and I've just started to work with it).

how can I check if there's a firewall? and how can I disable it ?
Where do I open port 445 (I've read it in several threads...)
If you didn't enable a firewall, and you installed the official kubuntu sources, there is not firewall enabled. Google for iptables to read up on the linux firewall platform.
 
  


Reply

Tags
firewall, kubuntu, linux, local, network, networking, samba


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to get SAMBA working "Unable to find any workgroups in your local network." shodekiagari Linux - Networking 1 07-08-2005 01:32 PM
find out ip's in your local network ody1 Linux - Networking 3 03-23-2005 11:02 AM
samba can't find local windows 98 box kingscott Linux - Newbie 14 11-19-2004 04:20 PM
(SuSE 9.1) Unable to find any workgroups in your local network frank-01 Linux - Networking 13 09-06-2004 05:44 PM
Samba on a local network scheidjm Linux - Networking 1 07-26-2003 03:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration