I've just installed debian woody 2.4.18-bf2.4 and am trying to set up my internet connection and network connection.
- alcatel speedtouch home adsl modem --> upgraded to pro version with router capabilities
- onboard lan chip: via vt-6103
- southbridge: via vt8235
- a hub for connecting multiple PC's to the alcatel modem/router
what i've done and tried so far:
- installed rhinefet.o driver for ethernet interface (seems successful)
- *** untarred driver file into temp directory
- *** used command make install
- *** added alias 'alias eth0 rhinefet' in file /etc/modutils/aliases
- *** added driver reference for loading at boot 'rhinefet' in file /etc/modules
- tried to use DHCP server on alcatel modem/router (didn't work)
- *** permanent connection ICS is up and working: connection is made by setting up alcatel modem/router
- *** DHCP server setup:
- *** addresses: 10.0.0.1 through 10.0.0.254
- *** subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
- *** lease time: 7200
- *** default gateway: 10.0.0.138
- *** dns server: 188.8.131.52
- *** DHCP client setup: used network utility 'etherconf' which I think is using 'dhclient' --> the program quits without errors but doesn't get a lease from the server
- used 'ifconfig' and 'route' to set up ethernet device by giving following commands:
- *** ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.5 netmask 255.0.0.0 up
- *** route add default gw 10.0.0.138
- *** route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 eth0
- modified some files:
- *** in file /etc/resolv.conf: added 'nameserver 10.0.0.138' and '184.108.40.206'
- *** in file /etc/host.conf: 'order hosts,bind' and 'multi on'
'ping' commands to 'localhost', '10.0.0.0', '10.0.0.5' work, but that seems obvious; to '10.0.0.138' it doesn't work, nor to any machine on the LAN or internet
My questions are:
- how do I know I am using the right driver for my ethernet device?
- how can I get a DHCP connection to the modem/router and setup a gateway to the internet and my LAN
There must be something i've forgotten or don't know about yet, so please help me. Maybe another 'route' ???