LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
nemestrinus
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: california
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Realtek Gigabyte Ethernet problems on Slackware 11 install


I just configured a new system using Slackware 11.0 and a 2.6.17.13 kernel. I hit a few snags along the way but I was able to resolve them; although I'm a veteran with Linux I still can't consider myself an expert....

Anyhow the Abit AW8D mobo on this box has two onboard ethernet adapters; lspci returns this info (they both show up but I'm only posting one here for brevity):
=================
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp. Unknown device 240b
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
I/O ports at ee00 [size=256]
Memory at fdeff000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at fdd00000 [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [48] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/1 Enable-
Capabilities: [60] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
Capabilities: [84] Vendor Specific Information
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [12c] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [148] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-37
Capabilities: [154] Power Budgeting
===================

I compiled the module with support for realtek gigabit but it still doesn't seem to detect these, so I downloaded the r1000_v1.05 driver module from RealTek. It won't compile. Looking around at posts on this and other forums I see many have had similar problems but I've been unable to figure out a solution. Anyone able to help? I believe I have a good source tree, etc.

The readme says to do "make clean modules," but this is what I get:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17.13/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.13'
CC [M] /usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.o
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1295: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_tx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:137: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_tx_action' was here
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1295: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_tx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:137: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_tx_action' was here
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1344: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_rx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:136: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_rx_action' was here
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1344: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_rx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:136: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_rx_action' was here
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:136: warning: 'r1000_rx_action' declared `static' but never defined
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:137: warning: 'r1000_tx_action' used but never defined
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1296: warning: 'r1000_tx_action' defined but not used
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1345: warning: 'r1000_rx_action' defined but not used
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.13'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src'
make: *** [modules] Error 2


Thanks, ........

Last edited by nemestrinus; 12-31-2006 at 01:50 AM.
 
Old 01-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
rylan76
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Potchefstroom, South Africa
Distribution: Fedora 17 - 3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64
Posts: 1,477

Rep: Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemestrinus
Anyhow the Abit AW8D mobo on this box has two onboard ethernet adapters; lspci returns this info (they both show up but I'm only posting one here for brevity):
Hmm - how are you going to select which one is which?

Quote:
=================
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
Ok, I have the exact same NIC on my GA-945PL-S3 Gigabyte motherboard. But I've had enormous problems getting this NIC to actually work - it seems that the Realtek driver for this card is currently broken. Mine only worked intermittently - but I did manage to get it compiled, though...

Quote:
I compiled the module with support for realtek gigabit but it still doesn't seem to detect these, so I downloaded the r1000_v1.05 driver module from RealTek.
I assume you unloaded / disabled this module -before- you tried to start using the downloaded one?

Quote:
It won't compile. Looking around at posts on this and other forums I see many have had similar problems but I've been unable to figure out a solution. Anyone able to help? I believe I have a good source tree, etc.

The readme says to do "make clean modules," but this is what I get:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17.13/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.13'
CC [M] /usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.o
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1295: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_tx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:137: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_tx_action' was here
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1295: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_tx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:137: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_tx_action' was here
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1344: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_rx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:136: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_rx_action' was here
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1344: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_rx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:136: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_rx_action' was here
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:136: warning: 'r1000_rx_action' declared `static' but never defined
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:137: warning: 'r1000_tx_action' used but never defined
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1296: warning: 'r1000_tx_action' defined but not used
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1345: warning: 'r1000_rx_action' defined but not used
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.13'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Thanks, ........
Hmm - I'm not sure but it looks as if somehow the module is trying to compile twice? This may have to do with the configure script messing up - could this maybe be because you have two NICs on that board? Is it possible to disable one of them in the BIOS and see if the driver would then compile? It seems to define symbols and then try to redefine them, which crashes out the compiler.

It might also be due to the fact that you have an older kernel - have you tried getting a recent kernel and seeing if the problem persists? I managed to compile this very same driver on the 2.6.18.1 kernel under Fedora Core 6 with no problems. Ok, it DID compile, but my NIC still didn't work with this driver... I eventually had to disable it and use a Realtek 8139 based card in a PCI slot to get connectivity for my box...
 
Old 01-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
nemestrinus
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: california
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
OK thanks for the hints, I had already decided to try a newer kernel, and once I got 2.6.19.1 successfully compiled, it picked up both eth0 and eth1 with no further ado. Problem solved.
 
Old 01-02-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
rylan76
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Potchefstroom, South Africa
Distribution: Fedora 17 - 3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64
Posts: 1,477

Rep: Reputation: 87
Post solve-it note

Note: I just got a new 8168B driver from Realtek. If you want it drop me a line at spamnot@<removethis>polard.com and I'll mail it to you.
 
Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
wandersonhcn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm having the same problem here and I use the slack 11 too. To solve the problem you just used the kernel 2.6.19.1?

Because I put the kernel 2.6.18.3 and the card didn't work!
 
Old 01-10-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
nemestrinus
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: california
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandersonhcn
I'm having the same problem here and I use the slack 11 too. To solve the problem you just used the kernel 2.6.19.1?

Because I put the kernel 2.6.18.3 and the card didn't work!
Yes I had also tried the 2.6 kernels included on the Slackware install disks and those did not make the card work. So I went to kernel.org and downloaded 2.6.19.1, compiling it with the same options as the kernel on the Slackware disk, but being sure to enable the Realtek 1000MHz card support. I built it statically into the kernel, but the module should work as well. ( follow instructions carefully -- http://www.digitalhermit.com/~kwan/kernel.html )

Last edited by nemestrinus; 01-10-2007 at 01:42 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
networking


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Realtek Gigabyte Ethernet problems on Slackware 11 install nemestrinus Linux - Networking 1 05-02-2007 11:36 AM
gigabyte on board ethernet? Genjix Linux - Hardware 3 07-06-2005 01:58 PM
gigabyte ethernet port not working? TongueTied Linux - Hardware 4 06-24-2004 05:05 AM
Realtek problems with a slackware 9.1 MrPingouin Linux - Hardware 2 10-02-2003 06:05 AM
slackware 9 realtek ethernet cowboy_ein Linux - Hardware 1 04-16-2003 05:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration