Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
What MUA were you using to send the message? Is your machines host name the default linux.localhost.localdomain? It could be that the MUA bypassed postfix and sent the message directly to your ISP. Check the mail log in /var/log and get the details for the message.
No; it is being sent through Postfix. They bounce silently, but in my daily logwatch e-mails the Postfix logs indicated that my ISP's server rejected them because they were from a non-existant domain, localhost.domain.com.
I didn't want to direct unnecessary traffic towards the small-business server at that location.
Let's pretend the domain name is xyzco.com.
Basically, even when I set myorigin explicitly to "xyzco.com", it still comes out as "localhost.xyzco.com".
This is what confuses me.
The hostname of the box is actually "server". It is not directly connected to the Internet, but rather is accessed via port forwarding behind a router doing NAT. "Server" doesn't end up at all anywhere, though, either.
I suspect that the MUA (which one, you haven't mentioned) is adding the @localhost, and postfix is adding .domain.tld.
A quick fix is set masquerade_domains = $mydomain
$ postconf 'masquerade_domains = $mydomain'
From sample-rewrite.cf: # The masquerade_domains parameter specifies an optional list of
# domains that must have their subdomain structure stripped off.
# The list is processed left to right, and processing stops at the
# but strips any.thing.else.example.com to example.com.
# By default, address masquerading is disabled.
#masquerade_domains = $mydomain