Permission denied from W2K3 shares mounted by SMBMOUNT
There have been quite a few posts over the past few months surrounding difficulties folks are having mounting SMB shares from Windows Server 2003 machines using SMBMOUNT.
Several of these threads contain partial answers, but, none have solved *my* individual problem.
Let me re-state the problem, then post *my* solution, which, I hope, will solve *all* the un-resolved posts from the past.
My Windows Server 2003 (W2K3) machine is an Active Directory (AD) Domain Controller (DC). This problem only occurs on this machine. I have other machines on my local network, which do not exhibit this behavior.
My Linux machine is actually a Roku Labs HD1000 video/media player, and it seems to be running SMB 2.0.6.
The two pieces of this problem are:
1. Unable to mount W2K3 shares from SMBMOUNT (fixed by a domain controller policy change)
2. After succesfully mounting the share, unable to do anything with the folders inside the mount-point (getting "Permission denied" messages from Linux)
The first issue is addressed elsewhere, and doesn't seem to be specific to W2K3 being a domain controller.
# smbmount //HOST/SHARE /mnt/point -o rw,username=N,password=P
SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it
This problem is fixed by changing the Domain Controller Security Policy "Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always)" to be "Disabled".
The second problem, however, when my W2K3 machine is the domain controller, is that, after changing the above policy setting, I can succesfully mount the SMB share on Linux, but ... when I attempt to use anything in the mount point, I get the following:
# ls -al /mnt/point
ls: Permission denied
I also get that message if I attempt to UMOUNT or SMBUMOUNT that share:
# smbumount /mnt/point
smbumount: Permission denied
I even get that message if I try to look at the parent directory of the mount point:
# ls -l /mnt
ls: Permission denied
The really odd part of all this is that I can use SMBCLIENT from the same machine, inspecting the very same share on the very same W2K3 domain controller, and am succesful!
SMBCLIENT works, but SMBMOUNT fails (at least after it performs the mount).
Also, if you have succesfully mounted the sahre with SMBMOUNT, but are experiencing the "Permission denied" message when attempting to use the mount point, you will find that Windows acknowledges that the mount has succesfully connected (look at Compter Management\System Tools\Shared Folders\Shares, and you will see that the "mount count" has risen to a non-zero value).
I spent several late nights searching the internet for a solution ... but didn't find one ... at least not one which summed up the problem.
I finally did stumble into a Registry hack which did not fix the problem, but in the same Registry "folder", I *did* find a solution:
The requiresecuritysignature is what I found in another article. It did not solve my problem, but setting enablesecuritysignature=0 does, in fact, solve my problem.
I hope this helps other folks facing this gnarly issue!