LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
Wes527
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Warwick, RI, USA
Distribution: fedora core 10...god willing
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy net config for slackware


i just installed slackware 10.2, and i am having trouble setting up the internet conenction. i run "netconfig" and try to fill in everything wright, but i do not no exactly what i am supposed to put in some areas. is there anything that will automaticly configure the internet like in slax?
 
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
vls
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: The grassy knoll
Distribution: Slackware,Debian
Posts: 192

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes527
... is there anything that will automaticly configure the internet like in slax?
No automation in the stock Slack.

Netconfig is easy though.

I'm assuming yours is a home machine.

First screen: Enter Hostname
Give your computer a name; whatever you want. I name my machines after monster movie characters: frankenstein, godzilla, etc.

Second Screen: Enter Domainname:
If this is a home machine, localhost is good enough.

Third Screen: Setup IP address
Tricky here. Depends on how you're connecting to the Internet
Straight from DSL or Cable Modem?
Running through a router like Linksys? Either way, pick DHCP for now.
Dialup? Hit loopback.

After the screen quits, cd to /etc/rc.d:
Type at a command prompt:
Code:
 . rc.inet1
(that's a period first; you could use 'source' builtin also.)

type ifconfig at a command prompt and you should have something like this:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:98:00:B7:87
inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1272 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1392 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:271680 (265.3 Kb) TX bytes:181580 (177.3 Kb)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1652 (1.6 Kb) TX bytes:1652 (1.6 Kb)

I hope this helps you out.
 
Old 12-07-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Wes527
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Warwick, RI, USA
Distribution: fedora core 10...god willing
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vls
No automation in the stock Slack.

Netconfig is easy though.

I'm assuming yours is a home machine.

First screen: Enter Hostname
Give your computer a name; whatever you want. I name my machines after monster movie characters: frankenstein, godzilla, etc.

Second Screen: Enter Domainname:
If this is a home machine, localhost is good enough.

Third Screen: Setup IP address
Tricky here. Depends on how you're connecting to the Internet
Straight from DSL or Cable Modem?
Running through a router like Linksys? Either way, pick DHCP for now.
Dialup? Hit loopback.

After the screen quits, cd to /etc/rc.d:
Type at a command prompt:
Code:
 . rc.inet1
(that's a period first; you could use 'source' builtin also.)

type ifconfig at a command prompt and you should have something like this:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:98:00:B7:87
inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1272 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1392 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:271680 (265.3 Kb) TX bytes:181580 (177.3 Kb)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1652 (1.6 Kb) TX bytes:1652 (1.6 Kb)

I hope this helps you out.
after i choose dhcp there is more information i need to enter, how do i find this out? i have cable and i am using a network everywere router. here is some information i gatherd on the setup page for the router:

(removed for security reasons)

Last edited by Wes527; 12-08-2005 at 12:44 AM.
 
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
vls
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: The grassy knoll
Distribution: Slackware,Debian
Posts: 192

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes527
after i choose dhcp there is more information i need to enter, how do i find this out? i have cable and i am using a network everywere router. here is some information i gatherd on the setup page for the router:

host name: wes
domain name: ri.cox.net
LAN ip addres (of the router:
WAN:
IP:
subnet mask:
default gateway:
DNS:

this computer's internal IP:
Sounds like you need a hostname from your ISP.
wes seems to be it, try that on next screen after picking DHCP in
netconfig and see what happens.

If not, I don't know. You'll have to call the ISP and hope there's a Linux geek on the other end or you can get connected to one.

On a side note, you really should cut those IP addresses out of your post.

Last edited by vls; 12-08-2005 at 12:56 AM.
 
Old 12-08-2005, 12:46 AM   #5
Wes527
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Warwick, RI, USA
Distribution: fedora core 10...god willing
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vls
Sounds like you need a hostname from your ISP.
wes seems to be it, try that on next screen after picking DHCP in
netconfig and see what happens.

If not, I don't know. You'll have to call the ISP and hope there's a Linux geek on the other end or you can get connected to one.

On a side note, you really should cut those IP addresses out of your post.
i will call them up tomarro, thanks for the help. could you remove the info from your quote please?

edit: i just went on there website, they will only help you with windows and mac, figures.
is there no automatic network tool?

Last edited by Wes527; 12-08-2005 at 12:53 AM.
 
Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Lektroluv
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vls View Post
No automation in the stock Slack.

.............................................................

After the screen quits, cd to /etc/rc.d:
Type at a command prompt:
Code:
 . rc.inet1
(that's a period first; you could use 'source' builtin also.)
Here I get back:
Polling for DHCP server on interface eth0: No carrier detected on eth0. Reducing DHCP timeout to 10 seconds.
dhcpcd: MAC address = ....
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
-bash: eth1 information 'WiFiVDW'


Quote:
Originally Posted by vls View Post
type ifconfig at a command prompt and you should have something like this:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:98:00:B7:87
inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1272 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1392 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:271680 (265.3 Kb) TX bytes:181580 (177.3 Kb)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1652 (1.6 Kb) TX bytes:1652 (1.6 Kb)

I hope this helps you out.
After ifconfig I only get:
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1652 (1.6 Kb) TX bytes:1652 (1.6 Kb)


Can you help me?
I'm using slackware.
 
Old 10-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
WorldIsNotFair
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: Jakarta
Distribution: CentOS 5
Posts: 89

Rep: Reputation: 17
for requesting ip from dhcp server on slackware,

use dhcpcd [interface] --> dhcpcd eth0

, for auto u can make a script and put it to /etc/rc.local.

i can't get thing well too with netconfig / rc.inet1 script.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Net Card Config ORiGiNAl-SiN Slackware 3 05-12-2005 02:07 PM
net config regnier Linux - Networking 5 02-11-2005 08:34 AM
net config regnier Mandriva 9 02-11-2005 07:34 AM
net config webcast Linux - Networking 1 08-23-2004 10:53 AM
Net Config RUN Linux - General 4 07-16-2002 04:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration