Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have posted this on the Mandriva forum but think it is such an obscure fault it would be worthwhile asking here also.
I have a Netbook and a desktop both running Mandriva 2010 cooker. The Netbook connects to my router wirelessly and everything, including updates, works perfectly OK.
The desktop connects via wired network connection and works perfectly UNTIL I try and run an update. Then it crashes the router and I lose the internet connection, both wired and wireless!
The only solution is to stop the update and restart the router. The desktop also has Windows 7 on it and when I run an update on that it works perfectly. This has only started happening fairly recently, a couple of weeks ago it updated about 200 packages without problem.
At the suggestion of someone on the Mandriva forum I disabled hotplugging and it seemed to fix it at first, it certainly made my internet connection faster. I ran the update and URPMI DRAKE update ran fine. Then I tried the rest of the updates and the problem returned. I didn't have the chance to investigate further as others were trying to use the internet.
You could try going into your router and setting your Mandriva box to DMZ for the duration of the update. If the router is one of those 2Wire adsl pos things they seem to just crash for no reason during long downloads try installing your updates in small chunks.
I have tried downloading only the smallest file in the upgrade list and it still sticks at about 20%.
I have also tried downloading a 4GB ISO file, watching BBC iPlayer, opening multiple web pages, listening to streaming radio and checking my email all at the same time. That is a little slow but works fine. It is only update that cause a problem.
I have now solved this issue, if not resolved the reasons for it. Making some changes to the network settings in Mandriva solved the problem of the router crashing during updates.
However, the problem started getting worse and began to affect both Mandriva and Windows. The fact that all the wi-fi connected devices in the house worked OK made me suspect it was related the my 'network over the mains' connection. So I fitted a wi-fi card in my PC and the problem has gone completely!