LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
LinuxCrayon
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Georgia, USA
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 274

Rep: Reputation: 31
Making Connections Takes Too Long


This is a latency problem as far as I can tell. I'm having some serious problems making connections. It can take several seconds to make a connection in Firefox. I'm using Slackware 12.0. Just tested Konqueror- same problem. Once connections are made, loading speed is not a problem. Download speeds are accurate (~250 - 350 KB/s). Other computers on the network are not experiencing the same problems I am, so I'm fairly certain it's not modem or router related. No significant changes have been made over the past several days (with the exception of one- later). I experienced a loss of connection a few days ago, so I decided to reset everything and change my settings in an effort to bring it back up. That didn't work, so I just switched to the backup files, using the original configuration. Still no internet. Then, I made the change that fixed it. I previously only had one nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf. I added my ISP's second address, and my internet began working again, but now at a MUCH slower pace. Whereas pages previously loaded instantly, they are now taking upwards of 12 seconds just to loaded Google (and not even the personalized iGoogle!), which to me is rather ridiculous. Pinging Google.com returns some strange results, I think. It takes forever for it to begin reporting the times (around the same amount of time as trying to connect to their website), but it says it's only taking around 60ms. Additionally, zero packet loss is reported. My theory: my ISP's first nameserver is (or was) down, so my computer stopped resolving websites. I added the secondary nameserver, and it began working, but the second nameserver is not as efficient as the primary (at their office), so I suffer lower speeds. My computer is defaulting to the secondary address, whereas other computers (which were simply left down instead of adding a second DNS) are still on the primary nameserver, which is now working again. Is there a cache that the computer uses as far as what DNS you use is concerned? If so, where is it located so that I can clear it so that the computer defaults back to DNS1? If I'm completely off or if there's anything else that could be of use or possible, PLEASE let me know! As a note, I've searched the threads. But they all mysteriously died with no solution or the user not saying how he fixed it.
 
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
Loosewheel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Montana
Distribution: PCLinuxOS-2007
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
If you are set up to use dhcp, maybe just delete the 'network interface' and then reconfigure (using dhcp). The dns stuff will be taken care of by the server.
 
Old 02-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #3
LinuxCrayon
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Georgia, USA
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 274

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
I don't use DHCP. It's too much epic fail.

I figured it out though. Apparently, DNS1 is still down (or just bogged down like crazy), and as it was the first in my list, Slack was trying to resolve hosts through it. So down or just too much traffic, it was taking forever to respond so Slack moved to the second DNS, at which point things properly resolved. Or the first one finally responded. Which is the case, I'm still not sure.

Simply switching the placement of the DNSs fixed the problem- putting the second one first now causes things to respond at a much faster rate.

Also...wtf...line breaks are NOT working at all. Except now they are. So again...wtf? =/
 
Old 02-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,415

Rep: Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968
you really should have used a tool like wireshark or tcpdump. you'd have been able to see the dns requests failing instantly...
 
Old 02-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
LinuxCrayon
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Georgia, USA
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 274

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
acid-

Thanks! Now I'll know for the future.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dd comand takes so long UltraSoul Solaris / OpenSolaris 4 01-26-2008 04:09 AM
transcode takes too long xgreen Slackware 2 05-08-2005 09:54 AM
Booting up takes SO long! GreaseMonkey87 Linux - General 6 07-15-2004 03:28 AM
booting takes too long eye Red Hat 5 10-22-2003 02:26 PM
sendmail takes too long to come up ... t0dd Linux - Software 1 03-11-2002 03:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration