Home VOIP phones??? asterisk???
I've been intrigured by the idea of running some VoIP phones at home, just as a project. Does anyone know of an inexpensive model that can be networked over ethernet (10/100 BaseT/TX).
1) How are addresses assigned? How are calls placed from one phone to another?
2) What about integration with a SoftPBX like asterisk?
3) What about, using asterisk, integration with a PSTN network, for outgoing calls? I assume I just need a PSTN card? How easily can this be integrated with the VoIP phones? Is there a certain standard I should be looking for?
4) Ok, the biggie. What about setting up other VoIP phones at remote locations? Can I just setup a VPN tunnel, and have this deal with it? Will they be able to connect? MORE IMPORTANTLY, if one of the remote locations is behind a NAT router/firewall, can I still setup VoIP by having the VPN create a persistent tunnel?
5) Will asterisk integrate with PSTN adapters/"servers" at remote locations?