I am working on TUN/TAP for tunnelling IP packets from the application to the network.
I am able to open the tun device and assign the IP address to tun0. The steps I followed are given,
1. Opened the tun device /dev/net/tun
2. Assigned a IP address to the tun0 using ifconfig tun0 10.66.67.247
3. Added to the routing table using the following command route add -host 10.66.67.247 dev tun0
4. I have loaded the tun device using modprobe tun and I was able to see the device when I gave the command lsmod | sort
tsdev 7520 0
tun 10336 1
5. the output of the command route is
10.66.67.247 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 tun0
10.66.67.192 * 255.255.255.192 U 0 0 0 eth0
default 10.66.67.193 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
6. I have installed uml-utilities & bridge utilities.
7. finally I wrote a IP frame to tun0 device . The IP packet was for opening a ftp session on other machine (10.66.67.220.
I could seee the packet received in tun0 device using ifconfig and wireshark.
tun0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
inet addr:10.66.67.247 P-t-P:10.66.67.247 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:60 (60.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
The IP Packet which I sent is received in the tun0 device, but furhter its not routing it to the eth0 device.
My question is, how do I route the IP packets recevied in tun0 device to the network via eth0 and vice versa.
Is there any package or driver i need to install inorder to configure the tun device for routing it to the eth0
Thanks you in Advance